OMG--I dumped it....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That Irish Red was nasty. Something was absolutely not right, so I had to get rid of it. The whole point of my keg was having beer ready to go whenever I wanted it, so after 10 days of waiting fo rthis to get right, I've given up. First off, the beer smelled like pure malt extract. Second, it tasted rotten. Fruity, but bad fruit. I'm sure something got infected in there but I have no idea why. I'm anal about sanitizing. So, I took the keg, got new o-rings, bleacehed, rinsed and then sanitized it. Racked over my steam which has been cold conditioning in the garage for the past week. We'll see how this one goes.

So I've officially dumped out over 4 gallons of my own brewed beer. So here's some condolences *queues bagpipes "cadence to arms"* for the first batch of ruined beer at the Orr Brewery. *sniff, sniff*

Well, Nick wasn't over there to sneeze in it, so that couldn't be the problem. Or maybe that is the problem? :D

I wasn't there when you brewed and transferred it, so I don't have a clue. How did it go in the primary.....pretty good fermentation? Did you go to a carboy for secondary, or straight to the keg?

If the primary went well, my first thought is something nasty left behind in the keg. I think you did the right thing by getting it well cleaned out. Beyond that, I dunno. I hope your steam beer doesn't get hosed!

Sorry to hear it....I'd be pissed if I had to dump out a batch. You know me.....I'd probably drink it anyway. :D Don't forget to change your signature.......

My condolences... Been there, done that with my first batch of Alt... Tasted like fruity ice tea. Keep the head up and batch up another! My second batch, an IPA, I couldn't be happier with. Of course, I don't know what I was thinking. 6 months ago I was drinking Alt outside a brewery in Dusseldorf, and I expected to match it with a $20.00 kit.... right...

If it's any help, I once dumped 20 gallons (!!!). The batch that went bad and the batch I made and racked onto its yeast. Doh!!

It happens to the best of us and guys like me too. Sorry it happened to you this time :(

orrelse said:
That Irish Red was nasty. Something was absolutely not right, so I had to get rid of it. The whole point of my keg was having beer ready to go whenever I wanted it, so after 10 days of waiting fo rthis to get right, I've given up. First off, the beer smelled like pure malt extract. Second, it tasted rotten. Fruity, but bad fruit. I'm sure something got infected in there but I have no idea why. I'm anal about sanitizing. So, I took the keg, got new o-rings, bleacehed, rinsed and then sanitized it. Racked over my steam which has been cold conditioning in the garage for the past week. We'll see how this one goes.

So I've officially dumped out over 4 gallons of my own brewed beer. So here's some condolences *queues bagpipes "cadence to arms"* for the first batch of ruined beer at the Orr Brewery. *sniff, sniff*

I had 2 cases of realy bad beer. I kept it for my wife to wash her hair in. It makes it realy soft and manageable. I have since bought a bottle of orvil (famous belgin ale). It was an exact match to the beer my wife is washing her hair in. Guess I should enter it in a contest or somthing I sure aint gona drink it.

wwgiese said:
I had 2 cases of realy bad beer. I kept it for my wife to wash her hair in. It makes it realy soft and manageable. I have since bought a bottle of orvil (famous belgin ale). It was an exact match to the beer my wife is washing her hair in. Guess I should enter it in a contest or somthing I sure aint gona drink it.

To some, an off flavor is a "style". :D

Back