Experimental Apple Spiced ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TropicanaBrew

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post on this forum. I've been a long time lurker and have been brewing about 3 years now. My latest interest has been creating a caramel apple cinnamon ale. I havent been able to brew it for the holidays due to moving so im gonna try it this week.

This is my draft of the recipe i'm working on. Advice is always welcomed.

5 gal batch

2 row pale 8#
crystal 80 .5#
crystal 20 1#
biscuit malt 1#

east kent goldings 1 oz for 60 min. maybe more depending on my IBU intentions

cinnamon ? half oz for boil 5min or secondary?
all spice? half oz for boil 5min or secondary?
apples ?# into secondary

still deciding on how to add in the spices and to what degree for flavor.

I'll probably cut the recipe in half and do a small experimental batch to test for flavor

If you're up for experimentation, try boiling down a few gallons of apple juice, caramelize it, then add to your brew as an additional sugar source.

If you're up for experimentation, try boiling down a few gallons of apple juice, caramelize it, then add to your brew as an additional sugar source.

oh that sounds interesting. Right now i wanna do the basic apples into the secondary but i'll definitely try that out if the beer turns out good. Could be an interesting twist for the caramel apple flavor

A little update for my recipe

i used that exact malt formula but cut it in half to make a 2.5 gal batch

hop bill was whitbread goldings .75oz at 60 min
same hops .25oz at 15 min

after brewing and fermenting it has a nice subtle caramel base flavor along with a slightly noticeable spiciness from the hops, great base to add the apple and spice flavoring in my opinion.

Secondary:

2 cinnamon sticks
.25 oz all spice
1 12oz can of frozen 100% apple juice concentrate- pitched at room temp

Smells like an awesome apple cidar for the holidays right now. I plan to bottle it within a few more days

That sounds like an interesting brew. Make sure you let us know how it turns out when it is ready for tasting.

Note - I would happily taste a bottle and give feedback. ;)

Back