Forgot Gas Dip Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewhitv

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After kegging for the first time and carbonating, I realize I've left my gas dip tube (the little 1.5 inch one) out of the gas poppit! I sprayed star san all over to see if anything was leaking out and didn't see any bubbles. The pressure is holding as well.

Should I bleed it all out and redo the carbonation with the tube correctly in there or am I magically OK without this thing?

Thanks

[...]Should I bleed it all out and redo the carbonation with the tube correctly in there or am I magically OK without this thing?

That you don't detect any leak around the gas post is a bit surprising. In any case, I'd dump the head pressure, sanitize the gas tube and its o-ring, and install them...

Cheers!

On my kegs I need the dip tube to make a positive seal. I'd just open things up, install tube, and reseal. It's pretty simple; you're not gonna "uncarb" the beer if you open it up.

thewhitv said:
Hi everyone,

Should I bleed it all out and redo the carbonation with the tube correctly in there or am I magically OK without this thing?

Thanks

Release the pressure, remove poppet, and install sanitized gas dipty tube. You don't have to recarbonate. Just add serving pressure when done.

Same here. I have had to replace the gasket when I have had problems (leaks) that started after the beer was carbonated. I have replaced the post o rings as well as the large gasket. Just remember to purge an air with CO2 after putting in the dip tube.

Thanks for the advice everyone, not to mention the outstanding response time! I confirmed it was holding pressure without the dip tube somehow, but went ahead and sanitized and replaced it.

I'm trying to understand why it was holding pressure without the tube and it's o-ring?

The post was probably just sealing against the rubber top of the keg really well...must've been really ratcheted down.

Back