Saison Dupont

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Pear

Reaction score
Finally had Saison Dupont Vieille Provision. I can see what all the hype is about, how delightful! Celebrating getting a B in Organic Chemistry, cheers!!

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

I love that stuff. I can't wait for summer to get here so I can try brewing a saison :mug:

Organic chem was the hardest class I took, hands down. So you earned it.

Harvest that yeast! (it likes 85-90F fermentation temps, perfect for making beer in the summer heat)

I have did a sasion last spring and I have one on tap currently. I tried Wyeast 3711 for my latest one and it finished dry (1.002) but its def more phenolic and spicy then then dupont's. I also brewed up mine with some flaked rye so I guess spicy was what I was going for. I think I'll try WLP566 next time to try and capture some of that fruity goodness, mmm I wish I was drinking it all over again.

Great beer! One of my all time favorites.

And way to go on the B in O-chem. Agree that it was one of the hardest classes I had. I learned to loath reaction mechanisms.

Watch out for that backside attack - they aren't kidding when they say size matters . . . ouch!

I've been meaning to try this, after seeing this thread I'll definitely pick it up this week. I'd really like to brew a saison this summer.

Mr_Pear, congrats on just passing OC! As for the celebration beer - NICE. One of my all time favorite brews. As soon as it gets warm enough I'm brewing Saisons exclusively. Last summer I did a really hoppy one, a mellower dry hopped one and an oaked one. Thinking of even getting a heating pad and temp controller to crank up temps into the high 80's.

Fantastic beer, that one! One of my favorites! And congrats on the grade!

I did a saison last summer that I put a lot of spices into. Planned to age until the holidays, but it didn't last that long. Once I get paid again in a couple weeks, I'll be doing another without the spices. 3711 is a freaking beast. I love that yeast.

mmmmm Saison.

I always have some around. I even brew them in the winter and use a coolor of water with and aquarium heater to get the temps up when it is cold in my basement.

Y'all got me in the mood. I went to NB today and got the ingredients and am making it tomorrow.:mug:

Saison DuPont is a classic, but I don't like it on draft. It needs to be bottled for that high carbonation, IMO.

I've actually never had it on draft, only in bottles. But I picked up ingredients for a saison Friday. Gonna try one out using Strisselspalt in addition to my normal Styrian Goldings. Never used Strisselspalt before so I'll see how I like it.

You mean the Bons Veaux or whatever it's called? I enjoy it (although not as much as their standard). Wouldn't call it sour, but I get a lot of Brett-like character.

Saison DuPont is a classic, but I don't like it on draft. It needs to be bottled for that high carbonation, IMO.

Yeah I think I didn't realize the awesomeness of bottle conditioning until I had had this beer. Really happy with the one that I have on tap but I'm def gonna bottle my next batch of Saison.

Is Saison Dupont bottle conditioned with brett? Or anything else other than normal sac. cerevisia.
Does anyone know if/what?

I think this may be the case because of that film on the inside of the bottle. IIRC, brett does this - forms films/adheres to surfaces - whereas normal brewers sacch does not.

No Brett. Brasserie Dupont bottle conditions Saison Dupont for 6-8 weeks with the bottles laying on their sides in order to expose more of the yeast to the beer. It also causes that "film" you are seeing.

I've tasted Brett in some of their others, but never in their standard saison. And the ones where I've tasted brett there's apparently no brett in there either.

Back