Does this look ok (white stuff)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
Sorry, I know this kind of question comes up constantly. I tried to find a thread with something close but gave up.

This is an IPA from a True Brew kit. Brewed 2/3, moved to secondary 2/11. I was going to bottle it today. This stuff on the top was not there a couple of days ago, it just looked fairly clear on the top. All of a sudden, this. Does this look normal?

2012-02-25_11-29-55_640.jpg

Looks good to me. Sometimes you'll get a little krausen bubbling back up after you transfer. If it were infected I'd expect to see a powdery layer across the top.

Looks like the transfer roused up the yeast a bit and a mini krausen was created. Another possibility is the agitation of the transfer released the dissolved CO2 and created bubbles on the surface. If it smells and tastes good, it probably is. You can look at it under a micro scope if you have access to one, yeast cells are round/oval, while bacteria are darker rod like formations

Looks like yeast rafts to me. We see a lot of these when noobs follow rather short instruction time tables & rack after only 1 week in primary. Def to soon to rack,& unless you're racking onto something or bulk aging,it isn't needed. And never before FG is reached in primary.

The white stuff looks like what I call spit bubbles. Honestly I don't know what the technical term is called, but it looks normal to me. I get them every time in varying degrees of intensity.

Thanks, guys. As always, your help and advice is much appreciated. I'll bottle it today, and taste it as I go to make sure it seems ok. And yes, I normally try to stay in the primary for 2-3 weeks, don't know why I did this one over to the secondary sooner. I think I wanted my FV for a new batch.... Will improve this practice going forward (and have added a second primary bucket).

Back