Chilling Mead...Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I am going to make some mead pretty soon for my daughter, and also my parents 25th wedding anniversary. Anyways, me and SWMBO bought a bottle of mead at the liquor store since we've never had it before.

Do you chill mead, or serve it at room temp?

The brand is Chaucer. It was the only brand they carried.

Has anybody ever had this brand? What did you think of it?

:ban:

It can be served either way. I like it chilled, but not cold.

BTW your daughter looks a little young for the mead.

I dont think that I have had Chaucer's.

- magno

magno said:
BTW your daughter looks a little young for the mead.

Nonsense! It's a great way to make them stop crying!:D

just kidding.

Seriously though, I want to brew a nice, high quality mead for when she turns 21.

I also would say chilled but not cold. Not familiar with the brand though.

Chaucer's is the brand served at the Kansas City Ren festival and several other Ren festivals. It is a sweet mead, lots of body and not made to be drank fast, too sweet. It does have a nice kick! With something this sweet it needs to be cold, 45-55 degree range or ice bucket 1 hour. My meads I like chilled but not cold.

I have at least one glass each day during our Ren festival. I get season passes! So yes I like it! Remember mead takes time to really get mellow. I test a bottle every 3 months and record flavors at the time, most are good at three months but better at 6 months and then start getting into the great and excellent levels at a year and over.

If you want to have the 20 year old stuff, the traditional Mead is an excellent choice!

We served Chaucer's last Saturday at the Arizona Mead Cup as the calibration mead. Its a dessert mead. Semi-sweet to sweet. My advice is to serve chilled (47-49°F).

Enjoy,
Wild

Chaucer's often comes with a pack of mulling spices...if using those, serve it warm like mulled cider in the fall.

I have a bottle at home actually...I've only ever had my meads, and a sip of another guy's when I was only 18 (I'll be 30 in 2 weeks...) that was fresh outta primary, and had a lot of that 'lighter fluid' hotness to it still.

I've heard most commercial meads aren't very true to style...still I wanted to broaden my horizons.

never had chaucers but we got some from Rabbits Foot Meadery that was exelent.. they also make cysers and other nice drinks..

SpamDog

Back