Instead of a BrewBelt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bungie cord around the fermenter, in the grarge on low, It's the only way to go. Ps:
older pads that don't have the 2 hour shut off work best.

I think this is a terrible idea. Burning your house down by using an electric appliance improperly cannot be cheaper than just going out and buying the correct tool.

Isn't it the exact same thing re-branded? Like a seed mat and the larger electric mats to wrap around a carboy? I would not leave it on a terribly long time, just enough to bump the temp up and put it in insulation... watched the whole time, on a gf plug...

I think this is a terrible idea. Burning your house down by using an electric appliance improperly cannot be cheaper than just going out and buying the correct tool.

I hate to say it, but Nurmey had a very convincing argument here.

There is a reason that they put those 2 hour turn off timers on heating pads. They tend to over heat and catch fire because they are not designed to stay on for any long length of time.

Rubbermaid tub of water + $20 aquarium heater.
Get really fancy and wrap some insulation around it.
Get really really fancy and add a higher-end thermostat to aquarium heater.

Basic approach will be more temp stable than brewbelt.

+1 Heating pads are not designed for that kind of continuous duty over a long period of time. I think it is a fire hazard.

scare mongers are everywhere these days.
These are tested for safety by running for thousands of hours at at time.

Get a cooler big enough to fit your carboy or bucket in. Go to the pet store and buy an aquarium heater. Fill cooler with water and a carboy. Set the aquarium heater, monitor temps with thermometer, and your set.

My basement has been at 55F or less most of the winter and I've been fermenting ales anywher between 60-65F all winter with the heater on its lower settings. Once fermentation kicks off all of the water in an insulated cooler prevents the temps from going to high.

Have to agree. Why would it be any hotter after two hours than it is after one hour? An uneducated guess would be that the shut-off is for either health reasons or to save electricity. Or may be their concerned is it being left on in an unsafe environment. Probably some kind of UL regulation.

My digital thermometer shuts off, but I don’t think it’s going to burst into flames. :D

Edit:
But I agree, the fish tank heater is a better idea.

It's just my recommendation. If you are willing to take a risk, you are not hurting me at all. Nobody is holding a gun to your head saying you can't use it.

Take a peek at this web site: http://exactproductsinc.com/WordPress/?cat=58

so your saying that if I were to post a blog about the dangers related to and because of beer people should stop drinking or making beer?
You can find a collection of websites to sway ANY argument to the direction you need it to go.
What about tricking freezers and fridges to run abouve or below their original ranges, what about those electric stir sticks. pretty popular stuff. non of it being used in the way it was intended.
hell this whole DIY section is basically taking ordinary stuff and using it in ways not intended.

Used to use the cooler/heater thing too. but actually the only reason I dont now is because the heaters thermostat went out and heated my water to a nice 85 degrees. and that was using it as it was intended. just heating water.
So the next time I put in a aquarium air pump with a new heater thinking that the old heater did not have enough flow around it to but all that did was cover the top half of carboy with hard water scale.

so your saying that if I were to post a blog about the dangers related to and because of beer people should stop drinking or making beer?
You can find a collection of websites to sway ANY argument to the direction you need it to go.
What about tricking freezers and fridges to run abouve or below their original ranges, what about those electric stir sticks. pretty popular stuff. non of it being used in the way it was intended.
hell this whole DIY section is basically taking ordinary stuff and using it in ways not intended.

Used to use the cooler/heater thing too. but actually the only reason I dont now is because the heaters thermostat went out and heated my water to a nice 85 degrees. and that was using it as it was intended. just heating water.
So the next time I put in a aquarium air pump with a new heater thinking that the old heater did not have enough flow around it to but all that did was cover the top half of carboy with hard water scale.

All I am saying is that I (me personally) wouldn't do it with a regular heater pad. It's my personal choice, just as it's your personal choice to use one. It's no different than the person who chooses to use propane burners in their basement. I wouldn't do it personally, as a ex-volunteer firefighter I have seen what can happen. If anyone else wants to use propane in their basement, go knock yourself out. It's your risk, not mine, but if someone posts about something I think is risky, I certainly will not encourage it. There are two sides to every story. Each individual has to make up their own minds. I would feel badly if I told someone "go ahead, no problem" and something went badly. In these threads I think the posters should hear both sides and make up their own minds.

Back