Beer of the Month Club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawkstar

Reaction score
SWMBO mentioned that she was thinking of signing me up for one of these, but didn't know if it was worth it. She suggested that I ask people on here, and see what you guys have to say. So........anyone have any suggestions, experience, thoughts, ideas.....

Thanks in advance!

my girlfriend bought me this for xmas. not sure of the cost, but i got some beer in at the end of january. it came from 2 brewers. 4 different brews. the two from one brewer were ok, but had a cigarette butt flavor to them, imho. The other two were good. I've only got one month under my belt and would say it's nice to get beers from around the US that i wouldn't normally get, even if they do taste like an ash tray :) I'm hoping for better in the future, but it's still nice.

(*again, i don't know the cost, so only comment on the 4 brews i've had so far, considered as gifts)

We got it one year as a gift.

Got lots of beer from regional breweries I had never heard of. A lot of it was good, some wasn't, rarely were they just fabulous.

You can reuse the shipping materials, which is handy.

I belong to the C&H Beer of the Month Club. I get the Variety Pack (12 beers, 2 international & 2 American breweries) and the Rare Beer Club (2 bomber sized bottles). The Variety Pack I would rate a 6/10. Sometimes good, sometimes ok. Rarely great, rarely bad. The Rare Beer Club is a 9/10 though. It is usually 1 international, 1 American and always rare beers, limited runs, beers only available to those local. Always good, sometimes great.

I'm don't have any experience, but lets look at it this way.

you get beer, plus
you probably get beer you've never had or may never get otherwise, plus
you get bottles that you can reuse, plus

im really not seeing any negatives, as long as the price is decent.

on the other hand, my g/f got me a beer kit of the month deal. now thats some good stuff

I am in one right now, from what I hear (from the gifter) it is quite expensive. The first month was great, the second month (this month) not so much. It had Choc brewery, and saranac brewery, both of which I can pick up at the grocery store. Plus, it would seem that that the first two months both consisted of pale ales, and black lagers. I hope next month (usually the 25-30 is delivery) will include some more variety. If it were me, I would find a great source for beer, a local shop, and see if they do gift cards, or just have her buy you an amex or visa gift card and go get what you want.

Xmas from my Mrs. . . 2 months into it. I have a killer specialty store down the street with over 100 craft beers in stock & I wish she hadn't. It's $30/month for 12 beers and I could do a lot better selection-wise at my local brew store. SWMBO paid for 12 months in advance (bummer!)

On the other hand, if you don't have a local shop like mine you might like BOTM Club. For me, I don't like a lot of the selections. . .YMMV.

Anyone know if they do these with homebrews? Like, a new kit each month to brew your own, with different ingredients and instructions?

Anyone know if they do these with homebrews? Like, a new kit each month to brew your own, with different ingredients and instructions?

Not sure a bout a club, but Northern Bewer has a thing on their catalogs about, "This month you should be brewing xxxxx and drinking xxxx" You could just follow that.

Back