Chocolate Orange Porter/Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaundesjardins

Reaction score
I have an idea to make a chocolate orange porter/stout.

I was thinking of starting with a good solid chocolate porter recipe and infusing some orange flavour in there.

Any ideas on this?

Anybody brew a chocolate orange beer yet?

That sounds really good. Are you think of just throwing in some orange zest at flameout?

I'm not sure yet. My only exprience with using oranges is when I used dried orange peel in a hybrid hefeweizen/witbier I made last summer and it turned out great. This time I'm looking for more of a sweet orange flavour as opposed to a citrus/sour flavour.

I think if you mash high, use s-04 and add orange zest last 5min it would be fine. I added zest from 4 oranges to my heffe and it was great.

I have never tried one without the other but when I make a wit. Like most I add coriander and orange peel. Supposedly, the coriander seed is what gives the citrus flavor not the orange. Not sure how this would react in a darker beer though.

If it comes along in the racking I leave it other wise I just rack and leave hot break behind. Other time that I have made heffe and kegged them, they clear halfway through and the orange and coriander taste subside on the last half of the keg, but this past time the orange flavor was still there. It was my first time adding the zest as opposed to dried bitter orange peel that is sold.

Back