SafAle US-05 alcohol tolerance?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBM30075

Reaction score
I am brewing an imperial IPA. I started at 1.092 and used 2 packets of US-05. How low can this yeast push my FG? I don't mind a drier IPA, so if it got to 1.010 it wouldn't bother me. Fermentis.com only says final gravity will be "low to medium", whatever that means. Does anybody have experience with this yeast in a higher gravity beer? What can I expect? If it does poop out, what yeast should I use to finish?
Thanks!

It is a very good attenuator and has very good alcohol tolerance in my experience. It took a 1.099 beer I brewed down to around 1.014 (this beer did have some simple sugar in it). From my experience you should be getting 80%+ attenuation with it, making it more attenuative than the liquid yeast it is often compared to (Wyeast 1056, WLP001).

I would say somewhere between 10-11% abv. I used it in an 1.134OG barleywine and it stopped around 1.056. I had to pitch White Labs super high gravity yeast to get it down to the 1.020s.

I just got 86.6% attenuation out of it when mashing at 153*. Pretty darn good for mashing in the mid range.

P.S. I also pitched onto a yeast cake of it.

When using the proper amount of S-05 slurry we always get 75-80% attenuation. Latest was an 11% ABV @ 77.3%.

I went from 1.114 to 1.020 on the 999 barleywine. 12.5% ABV

about 80% apparent attenuation with two rehydrated packs

OK, that all sounds good to me!

I have a follow up question to this thread. My IIPA has been brewed since Monday night. Now, it was bubbling in my blow off 2 hours after I pitched (2 sachets on a 5 gallon batch), and it rocked hard (I mean HARD!) for 2 days. The OG was 1.092. My blow off (airlock connected to 1/2" tubing) was blowing out (at the peak) 2 full-sized bubbles per second. Now, the blow off is absolutely still. It couldn't possibly have finished fermenting all of that sugar that quickly, could it?

I know I should take a reading, but it's late and I'm going out of town tomorrow. Will it keep until Monday? Do I have a stuck fermentation?

My big beer started bubbling in 15mins and was done bubbling at day two. Leave it for a week at least, then test with a hydrometer. The hydrometer will tell you if it's done or not.

OK, that all sounds good to me!

I have a follow up question to this thread. My IIPA has been brewed since Monday night. Now, it was bubbling in my blow off 2 hours after I pitched (2 sachets on a 5 gallon batch), and it rocked hard (I mean HARD!) for 2 days. The OG was 1.092. My blow off (airlock connected to 1/2" tubing) was blowing out (at the peak) 2 full-sized bubbles per second. Now, the blow off is absolutely still. It couldn't possibly have finished fermenting all of that sugar that quickly, could it?

I know I should take a reading, but it's late and I'm going out of town tomorrow. Will it keep until Monday? Do I have a stuck fermentation?

Most likely it's done. I pitched an IPA on a S-04 cake and it finished in 2.5 days. But as ^^^^^ the hydro will say. I would let it sit for 7-10 days before doing anything...

I have heard of folks getting up to 14% with this yeast BTW, by adding oxygen 24 hours into fermentation, rousing the yeast, and adding some sugar mid way through fermentation along with Fermaid-K.

So, I pitched it last Monday. If I checked it tomorrow night (Sunday) or Monday, what gravity reading would you think indicates it's finished? 1.020 or below?

Latest posts

Back