Oh S**T! I forgot to add Whirlfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use gelatin a few hours before you bottle. That works better for me than Irish moss or whirlfloc anyway. :)

Search gelatin

Whirlfloc and irish moss are boil kettle additions, don't add them to your beer later. Use gelatin as suggested. But really don't worry about it, leave it an extra couple weeks in primary or secondary and it will be just as clear.

to avoid this problem, i started putting my wirfloc tab in my 15 min hop addition bowl, this way i cannot forget it unless i forget a hop addition, which is highly unlikely.

i have two beers in the fridge for the last two weeks, one got a wirfloc, and one did not. they are both as clear as water. unfortunately we had a problem with our heater during fermentation, so one tastes like fricken bananas :(
but damn does it look good!

I didn't use anything like that in my last brew (irish moss, gelatin, etc) and had no problems with flocculation. It's really not a necessity. I do two weeks in primary and two in secondary and it came out great.

I didn't use anything like that in my last brew (irish moss, gelatin, etc) and had no problems with flocculation. It's really not a necessity. I do two weeks in primary and two in secondary and it came out great.

Two sets of words: .....[New brewer]..... [Wait a month]

You couldn't merge those two phrases with a particle accelerator! ;)

Or you could drink your beer cloudy:
:eek:

Oh, the horror! :D

I use Irish Moss if I remember to put it in, but I really don't care that much if my beer is crystal clear unless I'm showing it off or something. It matters much more to me how it tastes. Forgetting it is not really worth getting worked up over.

LOL - THIS is funny.

I had my 1st outdoor (garage) boil of the year and my logistics were thrown off a little. I SAID THAT also - plus the yeast nutrient (which I believe is more important).

So welcome to the "I forgot" club.

Gelitan you say - I'll look into it.

If you can see through your beer, send it back, its not done cooking.

sort of thread, but
steaks should bleed when cut
you should not be able to see through a glass of beer!

That all depends on what you are drinking. That's just a silly statement. It's kinda like saying that all wine should be red.

I forgot mine on my Wheat beer this weekend.

I went ahead and bought gelatin to help clear it up.
Got my fingers crossed, I want that beer to be as clear as possible (for a wheat that is)

I never use anything to clear; if you can wait long enough it will generally clear on its own and have a better taste.

I've had better luck with Irish Moss, personally. I made a wheat beer a while back, bottled into 32oz bottles, and if you pour the first pint without disturbing the yeast cake, it literally looks like it has been commercially filtered. I mean crystal clear. Not that it matters, being a wheat beer, but just illustrating my point.

... bottled into 32oz bottles...

I probably wont' mess with the gelatin this time, but good to know about. I don't have the patience yet to have stuff sit in secondary long. I'm pretty new to brewing and am trying to stock pile a bunch of beer, then I'll go for the longer brews. Problem is, I keep drinking it!

And 32oz bottles. Nice. My LHBS only has 12 and 22. I did want to go in there and jokingly ask for 40oz bottles for my Blue Bull Schlitz Malt Liqour clone.

The beer in the primary (without the whirlfloc) is pretty interesting. I made up the recipe and my OG was much higher than anticipated at 1.086. I didn't use a starter so I may have to try adding some barley wine level yeast.

Yeah, I mostly use 32oz swingtops. They make bottling a lot less time consuming. One batch is like 19 bottles, so it only takes about 10 minutes to clean them, a few minutes to sanitize and maybe 15 to actually fill and seal them. You do have to keep some small ones around, though, or you'll wind up wasting a bunch of beer at the end, when you have less than a quart left.

Unless you can find them for free or cheap on Craigslist or something, however, they are pretty expensive. I bought most of mine from Austin Homebrew Supply.

If you have the money, I can't recommend them enough. On the other hand, by the time you buy 4 or 5 cases of them, you could have put that money towards half a kegging system...

Back