Pitching into a carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagdeuce

Reaction score
I brewed my 3rd brew today and it was the first time using a carboy as the primary.

What is the best way to pitch dry yeast into a carboy.

When I poured the wort into the carboy and topped it off with water to 5 gallons there was a lot of foam on the top, so I figured sprinkling the yeast was a bad idea.

Just looking for the best way to handle this in the future.

Thanks

~Jim

Just pitch it in there, no worries. Many people will take sanitized water and re-hydrate the dry yeast but I've found this to be unnecessary with normal gravity beers. With any beers below 1.060, I just sprinkle it on top of the foam. The foam will subside after an hour or so and will get right to work on that wort. You'll most likely have fermentation within 12-36 hours.

If its dry yeast, just pour it through the opening and give it a gentle swirl to get the yeast in contact with the wort. Don't worry about little yeast clumps. They will break up once fermentation gets going. Liquid yeast/starter, pour right in.

what I do is fill about 3/4 of the wort into the carboy sprinkle yeast

the pour the remaining wort into it washes the yeast down and gets any off the insides of the boy

:rockin:

Latest posts

Back