American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking of brewing this but moving the first hop addition to 30min instead of 60. Has anyone tried this before?

I did this a couple of year's ago with this recipe. I think I did all of my additions in the last 20 min of the boil and scaled up on the hops amount to hit the IBUs. Turned out very piney tasting. Not green of or off in any way, just intensely piney from the hops. Hate to admit this, but came home from cruising around the French Quarter on Mardi Gras day (after drinking a fair amount), cracked open a 32 oz of this late hopped Pale Ale and could only drink a few sips - way to piney tasting. The only homebrew I think I've ever dumped.:(

HOWEVER, this is one of my favorite recipes and I plan on brewing it this weekend and playing around with mash temp to see if I can get a maltier version.

Just made this last night. First AG brew, so I hope it's a good one! :D

Didn't notice until I got home that the guy at the LHBS gave me Caron-10 Malt rather than Crystal Malt.

Guess we'll see how she turns out! ;)

Just started drinking this one and its awesome. Been experimenting with home roasting grains so made my own pseudo-vienna and crystal 20 for it. Add in that I used harvested yeast from a prior batch and I think I came in around $18 for one of the better brews I've made. Hopefully my first year cascade plant will be ready in a few weeks and the next batch will cost about $14, can't beat that with a mash paddle. Great recipe.

Just made this last night. First AG brew, so I hope it's a good one! :D

Didn't notice until I got home that the guy at the LHBS gave me Caron-10 Malt rather than Crystal Malt.

Guess we'll see how she turns out! ;)

Well brought this keg to a family reunion and it is pretty much gone. And this is amongst BMC drinkers, so I was surprised it went so fast.

Gonna be making again, for sure! :rockin:

Brewed partial mash version of this last week. Just took a hydro reading and man the sample tasted great!! Started to cold crash and should bottle in a few days. Thanks Edwort! :ban:

Brewed partial mash version of this last week. Just took a hydro reading and man the sample tasted great!! Started to cold crash and should bottle in a few days. Thanks Edwort! :ban:
Want to do a partial mash of this one also. Thinking of just 3 lbs DME and 3 lbs 2-row for the base. DME is expensive! :D Really looking forward to next brew day when I plan to do this along with a hoppy brown ale. Can't come soon enough.

I brewed a version of this about 6 weeks ago. Finally got it on tap and ready to drink. I was running low on Cascade so decided to use some other hops I had a better supply of. I used US Tettnanger for the bittering and Chinook for the other additions. Now, I am a huge fan of Chinook, but holy crap, I did not expect this to be anywhere nearly this good. I'm going to brave the heat this weekend to brew this again. This keg is going to go really fast.

I've been loosely following this thread for the past year after looking for something simple but tasty to do with my first batch of homegrown cascades, but wanted to push the IBU's more towards the ipA. After I was done brewing this last August I realized I had just used Victory malt instead of Vienna. It took awhile for the malts to blend to a drinkable ale and in the end was okay. I just pitched the yeast tonight on a batch of this. Based on all of the great reviews, I decided to stick with the original posted recipe. I'm excited to have a great everyday pale on hand soon. Thanks for the ideas.

I followed this recipe to the T except for crystal 15 instead of 10 as that's what my LHBS had. Brewed it on 8-14, kegged it on 8-24 and just pulled a pint tonight to give it a taste. It's not carbed up enough yet, but dang does it taste great! Now if I can keep my hands off of it until its finished carbing... I love simple, quick turnaround brews like this one! Thanks for the great recipe.

Just brewed this up the other day and its bubbling away! Used original grain bill, but cascades I had we're lower in %alpha so added a 45 min addition and subbed the 5 min to Amarillo. Pitched dennys fav 50...and then I forgot to take a gravity reading...drunk... lol can't wait to try it!!

I just brewed this a couple weeks ago, and tapped it the other day. Somethings up with my process because it seems like my last two beers have been lacking character. Even though I hit the target OG and FG by a couple points my Hause Pale tastes a little light, bland. Maybe too carbinated (I'll drop that a bit to make sure its not covering body and flavor). I added 1 tsp of gypsum to bring out the hops, but I don't think this is the problem.

OTOH, even after fermenting for ~2 weeks, then kegging it ~5 days ago maybe its' still green?

Or maybe I'm expecting too much?

Ed do you every accept samples to provide feedback?

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevreh - I had the same issue with this beer. Although my other beers turn out fine, I may have messed something up with this one. No offense to Ed of course, it's likely I'm just too much of a hophead for this recipe.

I have a keg of this going right now. My friends all love it, but I'm not a huge fan. It's a pretty light beer. I may pull the lid and dry hop the crap out of it towards the end of it and see what happens

Boil & Hops

1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Hey EdWort.

This seems to be a great recipe. Have you consider increasing the amount of hops and dryhopping the beer too? I would say putting like 1.5-2 oz at flame off and drypop with the same amount too. What do you think?

Can you also tell me how the Vienna Malt affects the taste?

Not sure about the acceptable shelf life of this stuff, but I found a bomber bottled on 12-12-12 in a random "to age" box, tossed it in the fridge this am, and it's tasting great right now.! To hell with the hoppy beer 3 month rule.

My recipe came out MUCH lighter in color that most of the pictures on here, I would say more like the color of a Budweiser or something. I hit the gravities ok, and according to Beersmith my color looks about right, but most of the pictures in this thread look much darker.

Any idea what I might have done wrong?

I used American 2 Row Rahr, Vienna, and Crystal 10.

My recipe came out MUCH lighter in color that most of the pictures on here, I would say more like the color of a Budweiser or something. I hit the gravities ok, and according to Beersmith my color looks about right, but most of the pictures in this thread look much darker.

Any idea what I might have done wrong?

I used American 2 Row Rahr, Vienna, and Crystal 10.

Lighter than this? (Rahr American 2 Row, Weyermann Vienna, Briess Caramel 10)

Haus Pale Ale_Pic 1.jpg

I think I'd try an American Pale Malt (Rahr) and maybe dryhop with 1 oz cascade next time. The recipe then is beginning to approach the Can You Brew It recipe for Deschutes Mirror Pond, with execption of the Vienna malt and yeast differences.

Lighter than this? (Rahr American 2 Row, Weyermann Vienna, Briess Caramel 10)

View attachment 148565

I think I'd try an American Pale Malt (Rahr) and maybe dryhop with 1 oz cascade next time. The recipe then is beginning to approach the Can You Brew It recipe for Deschutes Mirror Pond, with execption of the Vienna malt and yeast differences.

That's about what mine looked like. Both of ours looks a ton lighter than the picture in the original post though. I wonder if I did something difference, or maybe the lighting in the original pic makes it look darker than it is?

Just did this beer, but it only fermented for about 30 hours, when it was fermenting it was going crazy, is this normal

Jim

HausPaleAleweb.jpg

This is my Haus Pale Ale. A very quaffable beer that is very easy to make using basic ingredients and a dry yeast.

Grain Bill
8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt

Mash
Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees.
I batch sparge in a 10 gallon water cooler with a stainless braid manifold. Click here for great info on Batch Sparging.
Dough-in with 3.5 gallons of water. After 60 minutes, add 5 quarts of 175 degree water and begin vorlauf. My system only takes about 2 quarts before it clears up, then it's wide open to drain in the kettle. Have another 3.25 gallons of 175 degree water ready for the next batch sparge. You should then get 6.5 gallons to your kettle for the boil.

Mini Mash

You might be able to do a mini mash with 5 lbs. of light DME.

Heat 3.5 qts of water to ~168/169F in a pot.
Heat a gallon of water to ~170 in another pot.
Add 2lb. of Vienna and 1/2 lb. of Crystal 10L (crushed grains) to the pot with the 168/169F water and stir very throughly.
Put lid on that pot, placed in oven at 150F.
Let it sit for an hour.
Pour the water (now wort) into your brew pot through your strainer. Put grains back into pot.

Pour the 170F water into the pot where your grain is, stir throughly, let sit for 10 mins. Pour that wort into your brew pot through your strainer.

You'll get 50-60% efficiency with that partial mash method.

Add additional water, extract, and hops to the brew pot and proceed like usual.

Extract Version

Here's what I have converted for an Extract version. Vienna must be mashed, but Austin Homebrew sells Munich LME which should bring this pretty darn close to the All Grain version. Just steep your Crystal 10 L and do a full boil and follow the hop schedule.

6.5# Extra Pale LME
1.5# Munich LME
8 oz. Crystal 10L (steep)

Boil & Hops

1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Chill to 70 to 75 degrees

Pitch with Nottingham Dry Yeast. No starter or hydration. Update! With the Nottingham shortage, Safale -05 is a great substitute and will make a great beer too. Very similar.

This ferments out very fast, so I will crash cool and keg after 1 week to 10 days. This recipe is calculated at 75% efficiency. I'm getting over 80% though with my Barley Crusher and my 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler w/stainless braid MLT.

The beer drops very clear after sitting in the kegerator for a week and looks like this.

HausAle3.jpg

It's my Haus Ale because it turned out to be a beer that everyone likes. It's light, crisp, dry, and very tasty which means several trips to the tapper.

You can get all the ingredients with a single click here: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com

FWIW, I've made this beer a couple of times. I made it with S-05 and it fermented violently both times.

Subscribed. Gonna make this for the wifes boss. Better be good. Lol

Just bought the grains. Gonna brew this weekend.

I plan on fermenting for 2 weeks and bottle condition. Can anyone recommend how long I bottle condition for before drinking?

I know I can drink after 2 weeks but I have never brewed (still a newbie) this light of a beer before. Thanks in advance!

Just bought the grains. Gonna brew this weekend.

I plan on fermenting for 2 weeks and bottle condition. Can anyone recommend how long I bottle condition for before drinking?

I know I can drink after 2 weeks but I have never brewed (still a newbie) this light of a beer before. Thanks in advance!

I only bottled 3 batches before kegging, but usually it's at least 3 weeks. You should try one once a week or so just to learn. But yeah, it usually takes time :mug:

My batch of this has a slightly sour flavor to it. I thought it might be a little green, but it's been in the bottle for a month now and it hasn't changed. I had a homebrewing friend try it yesterday and he thinks it might have gotten infected.

Any other possibilities on the sour flavor? It's drinkable, but not very good.

Thanks nick. From reading, I have gathered that the darker the beer, the longer to let it condition. I just didn't know a time frame for really light beers.

I tried at 3 weeks into the bottle and was a little let down, but a few weeks later...

Damn this is a good beer.

Thanks for the great recipe

i have this grain bill, but only centennial, chinook and citra...don't ask...I could drive 45 min to my lhbs and grab 2 oz cascade, but does anyone have a suggestion to make these three hops work in this grain bill for a pale ale? I obviously won't have the gravity for an IPA, so i'm hoping to make these hops work in here for a decent pale ale...anyone? bueller? tia.

Absolutey, you could use any of that combo for an awesome beer. To stick closely with the style for this beer, I'd suggest the centennial as a sub for the cascades. The Chinook will add a bit more resin flavor. The citra is a bit more tropical fruit flavor. But I'd still sub the centennial for the cascade, adjusting for overall IBUs, and a touch of the citra or chinook late for the tropical or resin flavor additions. You can't go wrong either way.

Ed: I brewed a citrusy IPA recipe of yours and a Pale ale previously. Both were great! I like your beers better than any of the brew pubs. I love your work! I've been brewing all-grain in keggles for less than two years and people are starting to think that I am some sort of expert. That is not the case.....yet, but the results have been really good. I really keep it simple, use good recipes, like yours and try to follow directions.
I am starting to get to the point where I can comfortably make substitutions, either out of necessity because of ingredient availability or for customized taste.

My batch of this has a slightly sour flavor to it. I thought it might be a little green, but it's been in the bottle for a month now and it hasn't changed. I had a homebrewing friend try it yesterday and he thinks it might have gotten infected.

Any other possibilities on the sour flavor? It's drinkable, but not very good.

Just tried to drink another one of these and if anything, it's getting worse. It's more sour and cloudier than last time I tried it. Pretty sure the batch got infected somehow. Oh well, gives me an excuse to try again this week :)

Just tried to drink another one of these and if anything, it's getting worse. It's more sour and cloudier than last time I tried it. Pretty sure the batch got infected somehow. Oh well, gives me an excuse to try again this week :)

Damn, I hate that, I've been there, hang in and dont give up!

So I have this grain bill on hand, but I only have cascade and chinook, what are your suggestions as far as when to use them. I was thinking 1 oz cascade @ 60 and the chinook for the 3 final aditions per ed's recomend.

I'm in. Mashing right now. Subbing 1.5oz Fuggles for bittering (I have a lot of fuggles), Amarillo for flavor, Munich LME for Vienna (not enough Vienna on hand). I'll divide it and ferment half with Nottingham and half with 05.

Call me crazy, but I drank a Fat Tire for the first time yesterday, and it reminded me of this beer. Needless to say, I am brewing it again right now :D

Just did a 7 gallon batch of this. It's great. Fermented with dry Coopers yeast. After 4 days of 66 degree ambient temp it's from 1.050og to 1.009! Hop aroma and flavor is great.

Any advice on a what carb volume for this? I was thinking 2.7

Back