Pitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyedoc

Reaction score
Yesterday, I made my brewed my first beer (a blonde ale), followed the directions exactly, and pitched my starter. When I pitched my starter I poured the slurry around in circles spreading it over the wort. I capped the fermenter and have it stored at 68 degrees.

Today I was rethinking the whole process from yesterday. Was I supposed to stir the yeast slurry into the wort to spread it out more? Will my beer be ok if I didn't?

Great! Cant wait to brew my second batch next week, an Oatmeal Stout.

Nope, you did just fine! It's a good idea to stir the heck out of your wort before you pitch the yeast, but once you pitch, put a lid on it and let it go to work.

Also think about leaving your beer in primary longer than most kits say. Leave it there till it's done fermenting (hydrometer show the same gravity 3 times in a row) and I'd only start using the hydrometer when bubbles have pretty much stopped. I've seen some kits that want you to have the brew in bottles after 10 days and that just seems dangerous to me.

Back