worried about high fermenting temps...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
I live in Houston, so my house is pretty much 79 to 80 degrees year round. The one room that my kids are "exempt" from (where I plan on fermenting and leaving the stuff to settle in the secondary tank) may even get a degree or two warmer during the afternoon.

Should I chose one yeast over another? Are there ales that I shouldn't even attempt, given the high temp of my house?

sorry, my brewing lingo isn't quite up to snuff yet either...

Where you at bro? We're pretty much all from Houston here. ;)

During the warm months (Feb thru Nov) I keep all of my fermenters in big rubbermaid tubs filled with water. That way I can throw an ice block in there every day, and keep everything down in the temp range I need...usually around 65F. Works for me anyway. :cool:

El Pistolero said:
During the warm months (Feb thru Nov)...
:D

In any case, cool things down like El P recommends. If you can't get things below 70F I would avoid hefeweizens (the yeasts get weird once above 70F), but you should definitely consider Belgians which seem to do quite well in the mid 70's.

During the warm months (Feb thru Nov)

How many other Cheeseheads feel like driving down there and kicking El P right in the nads?

plug the area code 53227 into your weatherbug and you'll understand . . . and this winter has been wierdly warm :mad:

Pumbaa said:
How many other Cheeseheads feel like driving down there and kicking El P right in the nads?

plug the area code 53227 into your weatherbug and you'll understand . . . and this winter has been wierdly warm :mad:

Yup, 36 degrees right now in the first week of February. It's a heatwave!

yeah, we're having an arctic front at the moment. Highs only in the low 70's.

:D

El P. : I am in the NW. I work at HP near Tomball. you?

I plan on fermenting, etc. in an upstairs bedroom , so I am not sure that vats of water and ice for 4 weeks straight will be an option...

Back