Standard orientation for inline quick disconnects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabetax

Reaction score
I bought a set of gas quick disconnects to put inline between my CO2 regulator and a manifold, and I was wondering if there was a convention on whether the gas should flow from male to female, or female to male. If I ever pool my gear together with someone else, I'd like it if all the equipment works together.

Based on gender-stereotypes alone, I'd suspect that people would normally go from male to female. However, I've seen on some other different disconnects the female connector can be twice the price (due to moving parts), so I could see people optimizing their layouts to minimize the number of female components necessary.

So - is there any convention I should stick to to maximize compatibility?

I think it depends on which (if either) gender is self-closing upon disconnect.

Eg: for air tools and flexible gas lines (LP & NG) you usually have the appliance fitted with the male end and the air or gas supply fitted with the female end -because the female end closes on disconnect while the male end doesn't.

From the link, at least one gender does have an integrated shutoff valve (most likely the female side). Actually, the rather vague wording suggests both might have shutoffs.

If it's just the female side, I'd put that on the supply side. If both have shutoffs, you can do whatever you like.

As for compatibility, I've never read of anyone here using those QDs. Ever.

Cheers!

Back