Recipe Critique - Citra Simcoe IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkrogue

Reaction score
Hey guys - this is my 2nd take at a recipe. 5gal batch with a 4 gal partial boil. The malt bill is a little all over the place - some of which is me experimenting and some is me subject to constraints of LHBS inventory.

3 lbs DME - Golden Light
2 lbs DME - Golden Light (late addition - 5 mins of boil)
1 lbs - Two Row
1 lbs - Pilsen Light DME
1 lbs - Caramel 10l
1 lbs - Pale Ale

I'm adding the Pilsen to try and keep it a little dryer, and thinking the caramel may just offset it and is not necessary.

Hop Schedule:
60 mins 1 oz Bittering
20 mins 1 oz Citra
10 mins 1 oz Simcoe
FO 1 oz Citra
Dry hop for 5 days - 7 days in Secondary:
1 oz Citra
2 oz Simcoe

Yeast (will use a starter): White Labs East Coast Ale

Exp OG: 1.068
FG: 1.018
IBU: 62.8
ABV: 6.7%

I think the hop schedule could need some adjustments so please feel free to tear this up. Thanks in advance.

You're right about the caramel. I generally try to keep it to half a pound because it contains quite a bit of unfermentables. The rest of the grain bill looks pretty good though! Which hop are you using at 60 minutes? And what type of hop profile are you trying to achieve? Do you like something very bitter with little aroma or something on the less better side with a nice bouquet of aroma? With your current hop schedule you'll get a pretty even balance, but pretty hoppy IPA. Hope this helps!

:mug:

The beer looks like it will be pretty good. I won't really comment on the grain bill because that's not my strength. THe hop schedule isn't overly ambitious. I just made a Citra IPA and it is about to be dry hopped. So far it smells of rich, ripe mangos. I definitely can't wait to have it ready.

I think your bitterness level should come off nicely. It may actually be a bit tame by my standards but I'm a bit ridiculous with hops sometimes. I'd consider dropping your Simcoe dry hop to 1 oz and moving that other oz to flameout or a 5 min addition.

Thx all. I'm going to cut down the caramel to 8oz and move the simcoe oz to FO. I'm becoming more of a hophead by the minute. I like IPA's bitter, but also with a big floral fruity bouquet. Some of my fav's are Ruination, Double Jack, and most recently Heady Topper has ruined a lot of other beers for me...its incredible. My last IIPA didn't have a big aroma which dissappointed me.

Is this a partial mash? The 2-row and pale malt need to be mashed.

oh and probably centennial at 60 but I may stop at LHBS today and see if they have an oz of warrior or nugget to use instead.

Back