Pid syl-2352 problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloke

Reaction score
HI,

I dont get my syl-2352(auberins) and TC K100M probe(http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=165),SSR 25A to work properly.
Everything should be connected the right way.

Problem is i can get the the temp to stay at the set "sv" value 65 degrees Celsius in my case. It alway gets higher and higher.

after an autotune it starts ok and heater stops a bit under the set "sv" temp but after a while the "pv" value is a few degrees over "sv" and the heater starts even if the "pv" value is higher than the choosen "sv" value. How is this possible? Im getting nuts here soon. please help!!

Call Auber. I had a problem with mine too (my problem, not theirs) they helped me walk through what was wrong. likely a connection somewhere is not what it should be.

ok so i got an answer from Auber.

telling me to reset the pid settings to default and run again.
so I did but temp. still getting too high.

Then I did an autotune again with with a starting water temp of 24 degrees C.
After that I could get temp to be with in 2 degress from SV value 65 Celsius

strange ting is that is heats up when it´s at 65 and heating too 66-67 to let it cool down to 65 and start again...

Any ideas how i can manipulate the P, I, or D or any maybe HY values to make it hold it at 65 or at east let it cool to 64 and warm up to 65

cheers

this pid really make me go crazy!!
I had it calibrated to 65degress yesterday when i heated up my HLT with 2 other
thermometers in the water. when it was 65 degrees I calibrated my pid to that temp.

today when i tried to heat it up again I had the sv value to 65. when the pv value also
was at 65 and it was stable( i have the pid controller in on/off mode, as thermostat)
the other 2 thermometers told me another story. was about 10 degrees wrong again

why is the damn controller give me different values every time? anyone?

Are they all the same thermos. RTD or Thermocouple? Why 65? Calibrate at 152-155. I have several thermos that read different at different temps but the same calibrated at mash temps.

thanks for your reply stevo!
The one in my HLT is a thermocouple, I have ordered a new RTD from Auber.
Well 65 as in celsius degrees is about 152 F.

are you saying that even if calibrated it will only tell the right temp at the temp you did
calibrate it at? well that cant me right. it have to be at a 0.01 error margin but better about one degree at least.

What about the 10 degree error at the same mash degree from day to day? isnt that really strange?

cheers
"even a stopped clock shows the right time twice a day"

A loose connection or poor ground will often create crazy readings with a thermocouple. I use the RTD from Auber with no problems like that. My thermocouples with my BCS controller can do some crazy stuff.

bloke said:
thanks for your reply stevo!
The one in my HLT is a thermocouple, I have ordered a new RTD from Auber.
Well 65 as in celsius degrees is about 152 F.

are you saying that even if calibrated it will only tell the right temp at the temp you did
calibrate it at? well that cant me right. it have to be at a 0.01 error margin but better about one degree at least.

What about the 10 degree error at the same mash degree from day to day? isnt that really strange?

cheers
"even a stopped clock shows the right time twice a day"

Ahh. 65 C.

Problem is i can get the the temp to stay at the set "sv" value 65 degrees Celsius in my case. It alway gets higher and higher.

Do you have circulation in your HLT? If not you will likely overshoot the set point. If you have a pump try to circulate the water in the HLT. If not, stir with a long spoon as it is getting close to the set point. Water likes to settle in layers of different temperature, "stratification". Some brewers put a stirrer motor on their HLT to break up the temperature layers.

I got my new RTD yesterday and did a test. It worked a hell of a lot better the temperature was almost ok even without any calibration. I only tried it in PID mode and it did overshoot by 2 degrees celcius before and after autotune.
any idea how to trim the pid values to get it right on target?

Back