That taste of DMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
I've read that DMS is 'desirable in small amounts for darker lagers'. There is a certin taste that I've really come to like in a few Oktoberfests that I've had recently, and I was wondering if that's what it was. It's hard to describe, but I'd say it was sweet and organic-almost vegetably. Kind of close to the smell of boiling wort. I had initially thought that this taste was due to a particular malt.

The other day, I was drinking a friend's wine (purchased) that had been opened some time before and didn't really taste right. It had a similar taste to the beers, so it got me wondering if I was tasting the DMS-in the case of the wine, it was not appropriate.

I'm just trying to get my tastebuds honed in on what I'm tasting. I'm trying to figure out what that taste is.

like cheese said, Rolling Rock has made a beer around DMS. They have taken an off flavor and made it desirable.

I think of DMS as a green bean flavor in my opinion.

Thanks-I've always though RR to taste a bit like apples-that's wild.

Now I just need to figure out that what that taste is that makes those Oktoberfests so good.

Latest posts

Back