Do i HAVE to do a decoction mash for this hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpbergie

Reaction score
or can i do a single infusion at about 153? Im using a 5 gallon cooler for MLT and was not planning on decoction. Should i use an american wheat malt instead?

Ingredients

7.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 69.8 %
3.25 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 30.2 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [6.00%] (45 min) Hops 19.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast-Wheat

You can do a single infusion, but wheat beers definately benefit from a protein rest. Whether you use decoction, infusion, or direct heat for the temp step shouldn't matter that much.

If you're leary of the multi-rest mashes, stick to the single infusion for this one and see how it turns out. If it lacks something in the end you can be a little more daring the next time.

My last hefe was a single infusion and it turned out great. That said I'm going to start doing a decoction so I can do a protein rest as mentioned without changing the water to grain ratio. It's definitely not necessary though, go with whatever works best for you.

Get a 10 gallon cooler and do multi step INFUSIONS if you like... that is what I do. Some people say that thin mashes do not convert well, but I average 79% eff. SOOOOO, maybe they are wrong?! Calculating water temps and quantities is pretty easy.

Pol

I've done step infusions and I agree they're very easy. I use promash to calculate the values for me, definitely takes the work out of it. Decoction is supposed to do other things for you besides increase temperature though which is why I'm interested in trying it.

I am making my first Lager in a cpl weeks and using my new 10 gallon coolers equipped with through the wall therms to monitor the mash and my new $10 keggle!

Pol

Life isnt fair, and trust me, I get screwed plenty... I deserve the keggle!

decoctions are easy, im on my second one first was an SN Pale ale clone and i did an IPA today next on my list is another pilsner im going to use a triple decoction the first one was a single mashed in at 122. my IPA was a double Mashed in at around 130 brought it to 150 for starch conv, them mashed out at around 170. no idea what my efficeny was but hit my OG :)

I'm looking forward to trying a decoction. I'm just doing a single to start, protein rest up to conversion and then infusion for mash out. I love adding procedures to brew day, makes it more fun! :)

You never NEED to do a decoction with all of the malts available today. You might WANT to do a decoction to see how it works. Really, it's not tough. Remove roughly 1/3 of your mash to a kettle big enough to boil it. Boil it (add heat slowly, stir often) for up to 30 minutes (20 seems average from recipes I've seen). Add it back to the mash to achieve the next step temperature. Most common between the protein rest and saccharification rest.

Can you tell I've been doing my reading? I'm planning on a single decoction with my next brew (hefe) and a whopping triple decoction with the pilsner I'm brewing after that.

cpbergie said:
Thanks!

Ill stick with single infusion on this one and see how it turns out.

You could try doing a 90 minute boil. This will help caramelize the wort and give you a little bit of the maltiness that is purportedly missing from a single infusion.

bradsul said:
I'm looking forward to trying a decoction. I'm just doing a single to start, protein rest up to conversion and then infusion for mash out. I love adding procedures to brew day, makes it more fun! :)

lol makes for a LONG brew day let me tell you, my first AG was an infusion mash from start to finish maybe 3 hours at the very most. yesterday i started brewing at around 3pm and was pitching the yeast in my wort right around 9pm. mostly because i didnt take a big enough decoction the first time and had to take another to hit my target temp of around 150 :)

cpbergie said:
and was not planning on decoction

don't do one then. the style traditionally uses one, but most/all german oriented recipies use one. the malts now convert rather easily these days.

. Should i use an american wheat malt instead?

european malts convert as easily as american ones these days.

Back