Hop Farms in Germany?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
For those of you familiar with the country, do you know of any farms near Friedberg which is not far from Frankfurt?

I have a friend in the military over there and he is going to ship some hops and hopefully some rhizomes to me but i need to tell him where to go.

There are 5 hop growing regions in Germany:

- Hallertau (Bavaria)
- Spalt (Bavaria)
- Tettnang (south Baden Wuertemberg)
- Elbe Saale (Saxonia Anhalt/Thuringia) - I actually used to drive by these hop field a lot when I was a child
- Rheinpfalz-Bittburg, Baden

The closest to Frankfurt should be Bittburg.

But I don't think that it is legal to send rhizomes in the mail witout proper authentication. Just try to buy them here. They may not even grow well in our climate anyway.

Kai

He needs to head to the Hallertau region just north of Munich for hops. There's a Friedburg north of Frankfurt and one in Bavaria.

If he drives along the Deutche Hopfenstrasse, he'll come across loads of hop farms. It starts in Freising (home of Weihenstephaner Bier) and heads north on the B310 for about 50 klicks.

I did a drive there back in June during Hop Harvest. What a hoot, but the dialect was a bit difficult, but we managed...

willkommen.jpg

Kaiser said:
- Elbe Saale (Saxonia Anhalt/Thuringia) - I actually used to drive by these hop field a lot when I was a child

Ah, Saxonia Anhalt/Thuringia, two lovely states in the eastern part of Germany. I have some good friends from Thuringen and have since managed to understand their dialect pretty well. I was in Berlin last year and I surprised the taxi driver when I asked if he was from Thuringen. He never figured some American would recognize the dialect.

Good Wurst from Thuringen too!

Back