Double IPA Tits-Up Imperial IPA (3-Time Medalist - 2 Golds, 1 Silver)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn it Kevin, just when I think I know what I am going to brew next, you go and throw me a curve.

Damn it Kevin, just when I think I know what I am going to brew next, you go and throw me a curve.

Yeah sorry. :D

The Tits Up took 2nd place out of 25 entries in Category 14 at the 2009 Happy Holidays Homebrew Competition last week. So that's one gold and one silver in the two competitions she's entered. :mug:

I brewed this fcor the second time in just a few weeks today. What an excellent recipe! I did change it just a bit just wanted to back off the ABV since it is going to be on tap and I changed the hop bill a little bit too. I guess I changed the entire recipe when I think about it but damn it this thread is what inspired the brew. Anyway here is the recipe that I brew.

10lb 2-row
1lb Carapils
1lb Munich
1lb 60L
4oz Honey Malt
2lb Corn sugar
1.5oz Magnum 60min
1.5oz Magnum 45min
1oz Amarillo 30min
1.25oz Cascade 15
1oz Amarillo 10min
1oz Mt Hood 10min
Big starter of 1056 or 1272
I like the 1272 because you have some fruity aroma but you cannot taste any of it. It is kinda cool.

Sorry to brag, but when you enter a beer into three contests and she wins two golds and a silver...well...I'm going to brag just a bit.

Tits Up IIPA wins gold medal at the "2010 Great Northern Brew-Ha-Ha!"

Now I have to save off a couple of bottles since she qualified for the "Midwest Homebrewer of the Year".

yes, 05 was mentioned later in the thread.
After drinking all of my AHS PTE clone I will have to try this recipe. Thanks and congrats!

Sorry to brag, but when you enter a beer into three contests and she wins two golds and a silver...well...I'm going to brag just a bit.

Tits Up IIPA wins gold medal at the "2010 Great Northern Brew-Ha-Ha!"

Now I have to save off a couple of bottles since she qualified for the "Midwest Homebrewer of the Year".

Man, way to go Kevin! I have 2 Maharaja clones in the keg conditioning right now (started the 2nd right after I racked the first one to the keg and tasted the FG sample :cross: ) but I'm afraid I'm going to have to try this one soon! ;) Looks like my summer is going to be full of IIPA's.................

Oh yeah baby...:ban:
This batch has been resting in the keg in my brew shop at 65 degrees for right at 2.5 months now.

BM

I'm a fan of your creations and I have endeavored to emulate your successes, though I'm a little naive on the kegging stage. I have not started kegging yet, and want to know can I go from the secondary to bottles with the addition of some corn sugar and how much?

You note that your batch kegged for 2.5 months, was that gassed at all or did you just put the beer in and capped it?

I am excited as I can be and looking forward to popping some of these for my son's first birthday in april, but in the same breath, I don't want to put sugar into this beer and have them explode all over my closet/:eek:

I came in at 1079 on my OG and rotated to secondary for dry hopping on sked. I'm a week behind on getting it off the dry hop, so any advice would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance

Next brew on my sked, Outer Limits

BM

I'm a fan of your creations and I have endeavored to emulate your successes, though I'm a little naive on the kegging stage. I have not started kegging yet, and want to know can I go from the secondary to bottles with the addition of some corn sugar and how much?

You note that your batch kegged for 2.5 months, was that gassed at all or did you just put the beer in and capped it?

I am excited as I can be and looking forward to popping some of these for my son's first birthday in april, but in the same breath, I don't want to put sugar into this beer and have them explode all over my closet/:eek:

I came in at 1079 on my OG and rotated to secondary for dry hopping on sked. I'm a week behind on getting it off the dry hop, so any advice would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance

Next brew on my sked, Outer Limits

This beer sits in my primary for four weeks. My secondary for 7-10 days (just to dry hop) and then goes into a keg, gas to purge CO2 and then into the corner of the basement for anywhere from a few more weeks to another month or two. My fermentation temps also dictate the rest period. Higher temps lead to higher fusel alcohol and only some extended down-time will help to tame that.

If you're bottling, I'd say 4 weeks in a primary, dry hop in a secondary for 7 days and then rack to your bottling bucket with 3/4 cup of corn sugar and a 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of re-hydrated dry yeast.

Plan on a longer bottle conditioning with a high gravity beer like this. Figure 4 weeks at 70 degrees. :mug:

...just read this whole thread. hahaha Congrats on that sweeeeet award, that is one to be proud of for sure.
Cheers

mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Good stuff.

Had my first taste of my variance of this (I used the S 04) and I bottled.

I couldn't wait another month, so I chilled one of my efforts off and I've just finished a pint and all I can say is......mmmm good!

Damn good stuff!

I'm too much of a novice to know which hops are doing what, all I know is that I have a very hoppie beer but not offensive, can't tell the alcohol is even there...til the beer is gone and then....WhoooWeee! :ban::ban:

Oops, I forgot to add, I left my secondary about two weeks longer than advertised, and not disappointed I did.

The 04 is the only variation I made and after worrying about it since before Christmas, I am so glad I went with it.

Thanks BM. This truly is a wonderful experience.

:mug:

Big IIPA sweetness but equally strong bitterness.
BM, do you mean malty sweetness? Shouldn't a Pliny clone be dry? Your crystal is about 4%, inline with Pliny. Is this sweetness just because it's such high grav?

Also, why do you, personally, transfer to a secondary? Is that recipe specific, or just for IIPAs?

And do you really get a lot out of the second two weeks in the primary? (have you done head-to-head comparisons?

Do you get grassiness in your IIPA's early on, before your aging?

Making this today and plan on kegging it and tapping the keg in 2.5 months for a party weekend here and when some friends come to visit.....man i already can't wait BM your recipies i have made have been awsome so far. ive made your outer limits, centennial blonde and summit pale ale.

Making this today and plan on kegging it and tapping the keg in 2.5 months for a party weekend here and when some friends come to visit.....man i already can't wait BM your recipies i have made have been awsome so far. ive made your outer limits, centennial blonde and summit pale ale.

Excellent. :)

You're making me thirsty for some of my own recipes.

Excellent. :)

You're making me thirsty for some of my own recipes.

the brew day went really good. hit all my numbers except for my og was 1.078....i don't think i boiled off enough wort cause my pot was so full.

anyways i brewed on friday and put the fermentor in my refigerator hooked up with a JC temp controller, and i have that plugged into a power strip which controls 2 refrigerators. well the power was turned off on the strip and i didn't know it, i left friday racing all weekend and came home sunday and i realized it was fermenting in mid to high seventies....ferment temp. the temp strip on this fermentor doesn't read anymore but i have another glass carboy in there done fermenting that reads about 70. i hope i don't get any off flavors but since this is going to condition for a while i think it will be ok. i fixed the power and now its fermenting at 66~68

Wow, I'm dying to brew this now. I've been planning a summer wheat/IIPA hybrid, and I think this is the hop schedule I'll use. I believe I have all these hops in my freezer, but would only slightly change the GB based on what I have on hand. Reading recipe posts that get such rave reviews as this make for excessive blood flow into my boxer shorts, and this is one that will get a shot. Now if I can only get my SOF chiller built and resume brewing, I'll be tight, yo. Tanks for a sweet recipe.

i did this one tonite but didn't have the Crystal Hops so I doubled up on the Amarillo hops at the end. i hit 1.092 OG which is my highest yet.

I'm looking forward to bringing this out in 1 month for World Cup Final party! Cheers

1.092 in a month? I'd be curious to see how that turns out. Please keep us updated.

yeah it looks like i was over ambitious. 10 days later and the gravity in the primary has dropped to 1.025, but i would still like to go a bit further and it's still bubbling away, so i will leave it in the primary for at least another 4 days.

i did take a taste and wow, i think this one will be great.

17 days in the primary and just transferred to the secondary cold-crashing in the beer fridge. FG reading is at 1.02. So went from 1.092 to 1.020.

Took a little taste and it has a sweet front flavor and also a little woody aftertaste. hmm not sure about that but hopefully it will even out a bit over the next couple weeks in the secondary.

i just kegged mine over the weekend after 2 weeks of dryhopping, tasted and sample and wow!!!!! slightly nice malty sweetness, in your face hops and not even carbed yet. going to let it age in the keg 5 weeks and then going to tap it. it will be 11 weeks total when its tapped. man i can't wait!!!!!!

well i didn't quite get this ready for World Cup Final, that was too ambitious. i had it kegged 4 days before the game and took a taste and it turned out great but i decided it was more important to be patient and let this one age a few more weeks. i think it will be well worth the wait.

cheers!

Was thinking about using this grainbill for a IIPA. Don't have all the hops so I will substitue some.

How did this finish tastewise? Did it finish on the drier tasting side and hoppy (think ruination, or pliny) or super-sweet and hoppy (think maharaja, or hopsickle)?

wow just pulled my first sample from the keg, its 10:00 am lol and going to try and not drink it for 5 days when my friends get into town! its mildy sweet and super hoppy, mine fg was 1.012 so its on the dry side, which i like.

Biermuncher, if you're getting into hoppy IPAs then I would recommend buying your hops in bulk! I used to pay $2-$2.50/ounce, now I pay $12-$14 per lb. I usually hold back and get 3 or so lbs per order, or me and a buddy will get upwards of 10lbs in a group order. I use hopsdirect.com and have been happy with their packaging (foil and vacuum sealed) and shipping times. I'm not affiliated, but I like them. Cheers!

Biermuncher, if you're getting into hoppy IPAs then I would recommend buying your hops in bulk! I used to pay $2-$2.50/ounce, now I pay $12-$14 per lb. I usually hold back and get 3 or so lbs per order, or me and a buddy will get upwards of 10lbs in a group order. I use hopsdirect.com and have been happy with their packaging (foil and vacuum sealed) and shipping times. I'm not affiliated, but I like them. Cheers!

Thanks but I've been buying by the pound for about 2 years now. :)

BM I plan on brewing this for my next batch, I may have missed it in the thread but has anyone tried this with Wyeast 1056 with a nice big starter?

What would you guys suggest for these hops which are on hand for me. Galena, Pearle, Cascade, Amarillo, Willamette and Citra. Really don't want to buy more hops because I need to get rid of these ones. Thanks everyone.

BM, is the corn sugar used in the actual mash or in the boil? Sorry if this is a stupid rookie question, my first thought was in the boil but you listed it with the rest of the grains for the mash so I just wanted some clarification.

BM, is the corn sugar used in the actual mash or in the boil? Sorry if this is a stupid rookie question, my first thought was in the boil but you listed it with the rest of the grains for the mash so I just wanted some clarification.

The corn sugar goes into the boil pot at the time of sparging. Stir it up good before flame on so the sugar does sit on the bottom and scorch. :mug:

Awesome Thanks, BM. I'm actually brewing this again next weekend. The last batch came in about 10 points low on the gravity due to a poor crush. Luckily I had ordered a Barley Crusher and we'll see how the efficiency improves over the last batch.

My first batch also came out quite a bit low but holy crap is it good. Only been in the bottle 2 weeks and my brew partner convinced me to throw one in the fridge to try while we brewed this weekend. It was incredible. I would put it up against some of my favorite big IPA's. It's hard to beat Pliny but I would drink it right up with Sculpin or Just outstanding. I bottled the 2nd batch today which is good because we ended up drinking 4 more bottles of the first batch yesterday. In honor of your tribute to Pliny I found it fitting that we bottled it mostly in Pliny and Blind Pig bottles. Luckily I can get that stuff most of the time and have a large collection of those nice 18 oz bottles on hand. this will definitely be a regular at my place.

photo.php
photo.php

Back