Walker's IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottled my "Walker's IPA" today. Wow- even uncarbonated it's GOOD! This is going to be a great beer. I ended up dryhopping with about 1 1/4 ounce of cascade leaf hops for 8 or 9 days. This ones going to go fast!

I'm getting a pretty diverse selection around here and I'm proud of it. Tonight, I'll have a beer and have a selection of English pale ales, ESBs, amber ales, brown ales, etc. to choose from. I love this hobby! :ban:

Lorena

I'm going to chime in again - that's one awesome beer. Walker, you're the man, that beer kicks so much ass. I just made a pale ale over the weekend with the same Northern Brewer / Cascade combo, albeit only at the 35 IBU level.

Of course, *my* latest IPA was pretty MFT at bottling, as well.... ;)

lor -

You mind posting up the recipe or a link to it? I've been around a few months and browse often, but never seen this so called "Walker's IPA" posted anywhere...

I'm 10 batches deep now and haven't done an IPA, so its about time. :)

I "stole" it from Walker's signature- here it is- With credit to walker-san!

Walker’s Kaduva IPA
Grains 1.5 lb American Crystal 10°L Malt Extracts/Sugars
8 lbs Briess Extra Light DME Hops
(see note below about this hop schedule)
0.75 oz Chinook (12.8%) @ 60 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 30 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 30 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 25 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 25 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 20 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 20 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 15 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 15 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 10 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 10 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 5 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 5 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ flame-out
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ flame-out
1.00 oz Cascade - dry hop for 10 days prior to bottling.
Note: for the flavor/aroma hop additions, I take 2 oz of Cascades and 2 oz of Northern Brewer and mix it all together in a big salad bowl. Then I divide the mixture into 7 equal parts. Starting at 30 minutes, and ever 5 minutes thereafter, I add one of the portions to the boil. The final portion is added at the end of the boil when the heat is finally turned off.
Misc
1 tsp Irish Moss added with 20 minutes left in the boil
Yeast
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale
Priming
1.25 cups DME in cups water. Boiled for 10 minutes.

I followed this exactly, except that I bought the correct AAUs of cascade for the bittering ( I don't think I'm man enough for chinook- too harsh to me), and I dryhopped with 1 1/4 ounce cascade (because that's what my friend had in her freezer!) And primed with priming sugar, not DME.

I hope you make this. I haven't even had one yet, and I know it's awesome. I think I'll do an AG version of this in the summer.
Lorena

Looks great!!

Just one question; are those hop additions assuming a full 5 gallon boil? Always good info to have considering hop utilization. If so, looks like i'll be breaking out the turkey frier and suffering through the cold soon.

I'm guessing it is based on a full boil... 65ish IBU with full boil based on my BeerSmith calc of the recipe. Would be much less with only a partial boil.

I have to say, though....

Todd_K's "Hop Whompus" is giving this beer a run for its money for the title of "Best Homebrewed IPA I've Ever Tasted." If anyone's looking for another recipe to try, his beer is OUTSTANDING!

the_bird said:
I have to say, though....

Todd_K's "Hop Whompus" is giving this beer a run for its money for the title of "Best Homebrewed IPA I've Ever Tasted." If anyone's looking for another recipe to try, his beer is OUTSTANDING!

You have a recipe? My first IPA, which I just bottled, for some reason didn't come out quite as bitter as I thought it would. According to ProMash, it was 67.5 IBU's...but it doesn't taste that way on the palate. Still DAMNED good (thanks to nearly 2 weeks of dryhopping w/ 2oz of cascade), but I'm just wondering what the deal is. My hops are fresh. My boil was vigorous. The only thing I can think of is that the OG 1.071, and FG was 1.019 or so...which could account for some of it. A little sweeter than I'd like, but still 71% attenuation, so what could I expect?

Evan! said:
You have a recipe? My first IPA, which I just bottled, for some reason didn't come out quite as bitter as I thought it would. According to ProMash, it was 67.5 IBU's...but it doesn't taste that way on the palate. Still DAMNED good (thanks to nearly 2 weeks of dryhopping w/ 2oz of cascade), but I'm just wondering what the deal is. My hops are fresh. My boil was vigorous. The only thing I can think of is that the OG 1.071, and FG was 1.019 or so...which could account for some of it. A little sweeter than I'd like, but still 71% attenuation, so what could I expect?

He started a thread on it, I believe. I haven't brewed it, he just sent me a bottle (along with a nice selection of his other homebrews) as payment for a bet that I won (plus coming in third in fantasy football). Todd's a helluva brewer.

the_bird said:

I'm hoping Todd brings some in February when we have the first annual VAgraNCy brew fest. :rockin:

Dude said:
I'm hoping Todd brings some in February when we have the first annual VAgraNCy brew fest. :rockin:

I'd kick his ass if he doesn't. It's got a huge hop flavor to it, which is what I've really gotten into, I'm sure you'll like it. His HRR clone was good as well; it's been a while since I've had HRR, but it was really tasty. Good malt, good spicy character to it.

Just wanted to chime in and say that I bottled my version of Walker's IPA. There are a couple changes, but the late-hopping is the same, and I figure that's where the bulk of the character for this ale comes from. My version:

.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 15°L
.25 lbs. Crystal Malt 60°L
.25 lbs. Biscuit
11 lbs. American 2 row Malt
1.4 lb. can of Alexander’s Pale LME

.6 oz. Target (Pellets, 11 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.25 oz. Cascade (5.2 AA)/.25 oz. Northern Brewer (6.5 AA) every five minutes from the 35 min mark to flame out—8 additions total.
1 oz. Cascade for dryhop (for almost 1 month!)
Yeast: Safale US-56

I used Target for the bittering because it was my only high-aa hop. I added a bit of Crystal 60 because I love it's flavor--just a bit nuttier or deeper than the 15L--and some biscuit for the same reason. The LME was just to push the OG up a bit. I can only fit so much grain in my 5 gallon mash tun and this one was pushing it a bit! :D

So, cheers to you, Walker. Thanks for a great recipe idea. I don't think I ever would have been so liberal with the hops had I not been following your lead.

monk

I "stole" it from Walker's signature- here it is- With credit to walker-san!

Walker’s Kaduva IPA
Grains 1.5 lb American Crystal 10°L Malt Extracts/Sugars
8 lbs Briess Extra Light DME Hops
(see note below about this hop schedule)
0.75 oz Chinook (12.8%) @ 60 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 30 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 30 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 25 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 25 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 20 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 20 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 15 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 15 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 10 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 10 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 5 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 5 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ flame-out
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ flame-out
1.00 oz Cascade - dry hop for 10 days prior to bottling.
Note: for the flavor/aroma hop additions, I take 2 oz of Cascades and 2 oz of Northern Brewer and mix it all together in a big salad bowl. Then I divide the mixture into 7 equal parts. Starting at 30 minutes, and ever 5 minutes thereafter, I add one of the portions to the boil. The final portion is added at the end of the boil when the heat is finally turned off.
Misc
1 tsp Irish Moss added with 20 minutes left in the boil
Yeast
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale
Priming
1.25 cups DME in cups water. Boiled for 10 minutes.

I followed this exactly, except that I bought the correct AAUs of cascade for the bittering ( I don't think I'm man enough for chinook- too harsh to me), and I dryhopped with 1 1/4 ounce cascade (because that's what my friend had in her freezer!) And primed with priming sugar, not DME.

I hope you make this. I haven't even had one yet, and I know it's awesome. I think I'll do an AG version of this in the summer.
Lorena

silly question but it says "1.25 cups DME in cups water. Boiled for 10 minutes." how many cups of water ?

silly question but it says "1.25 cups DME in cups water. Boiled for 10 minutes." how many cups of water ?

That's probably about 2 cups, since it's for the priming sugar. It's not part of the actual recipe for the beer. That's just how he primed the bottles- he used DME instead of corn sugar. I used corn sugar in mine for priming, the usual amount (4-5 ounces by weight).

Back