Opinions on Mash Hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does mash hopping make a difference?

• Yes, it definitely does, even in a beer of over 200 IBUs.

• Yes, but probably not in this case.

• No, I don't believe it makes much difference.

• No idea.

Results are only viewable after voting.

jaxn

Reaction score
I made a Pliny the Bastid this weekend that called for 1.5 oz of Chinook hops in the mash, and I completely forgot to add it until it was too late. :eek:

But I felt a little comfort from when some friends with much more experience than me said they didn't think mash hopping really makes much of a difference, particularly when using a lot of hops in every other stage.

What do you guys think?

quote from probrewer.com

Mash Hopping is one old idea that is new again. The theory (yes it is a theory) is that by adding hops in the mash, the oils will bind to the proteins in the mash and be carried through the process. Allowing the brewer, because of the very specific temperature of the mash (warmer than the fermenter, cooler than the whirlpool), to extract aroma and flavor in a very unique way that is not possible using the conventional hopping process. Also, when you're using hops in the mash (as long as they are whole leaf and in a hop sock) those same hops can then be added to the boil because the alpha acids have not been utilized yet; this also works with dry hopping. Mash Hopping allows the brewer to use every last little bit of the hop. The process does take some secluding and some flexibility with flavor profile since there are really no calculations for this process, but if you are in a small, flexible microbrewery environment, this is a fun process to experiment with and you can achieve flavors and aromas other can't necessarily match.

Yes, it will make a difference.

No, you should not care and drink your now non-Pliny Imperial IPA.

Back