Question about grain mill speed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sizz

Reaction score
The engineer in me wants to maximize my efficiency. I have a 3-roller monster mill and my drill can't supply enough torque at low speeds without locking up, so I often have to run it at full speed. I imagine the crush is not as good as it could be. Does milling speed make a difference? Would crushing the grain again help much?

The faster I run my mill ( corona ),the finer the crush I get.
What kind of drill do you have?
Low speed = high torque, high speed = lower torque

I have read that 500rpm is where "it's at" with suggestions that faster doesn't adequately crush the grain. A second run sgould remedy this but, might also pulverize those that were milled adequately on the first run, if they pass between the rollers just right.

I too have issues with my drill set-up. However, my issues are mostly due to being too lazy and hand limited to hold the drill. Perhaps the "engineer" in you might be able to devise a way to disect and re-mount your drill and it's variable speed switch to find the best rpm and keep it hands free.

Back