Next brew I'm going to do an experiment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EoinMag

Reaction score
I can do ten Imperial gallons in a brew, my fermenters are five gallons, so next brew I do, I'm going to do a side by side test. One fermenter will be left for a month in the fermenter, the other will be secondaried once primary is finished, so both will start together and also be bottled together, then a side by side taste test to see if I can tell the difference or if one is better than the other. I will then decide what my method will be going forward. Up to now with kits I've taken the advice here and have been doing from 3-5 weeks in uninterrupted primary.

looking forward to the results. I'm picking up some more primaries this w/e, and was thinking of something like this myself

I have been using secondaries ever since I started brewing about a year ago. I don't know why, the kit I ordered just came with a carboy and bucket so I figured I should secondary. Is it not necessary?

Some (most?) people here at hbt do not use secondaries. I use a secondary more often than not, as what is sometimes referred to as a "bright tank".

If you do a search, you will find many many threads ok this topic, with many perspectives. IMHO, this is a matter of preference, not correctness.

Some (most?) people here at hbt do not use secondaries. I use a secondary more often than not, as what is sometimes referred to as a "bright tank".

If you do a search, you will find many many threads ok this topic, with many perspectives. IMHO, this is a matter of preference, not correctness.

Yeah I agree, but I'm going to test it side by side for myself, as to be honest I've been having a yeasty flavour that I'd like to have less of in my beers, by using the primary only method. I want to see if I can reduce this by taking it off the cake earlier. If not then not, I'm just testing for myself and can also report back here on my findings.

Latest posts

Back