Bottle Caps Loose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipscman

Reaction score
I have tried three different cappers including a Colonna desk model, all with 26mm bells.

I'm using standard recycled beer bottles from the big boy breweries.

I'm using caps purchased from LBHS. T

Ten percent of my caps can be twisted once they are put on. In some cases this majorly affects carbonation - as in, the CO2 all escapes.

Any ideas, suggestions?

I'm thinking of trying a piece of saran wrap over the tops before capping.

Baffled.

Do have a bad batch of caps? (is there still a rubber seal on the inside of the caps)

Are you using the 'twist off' type bottles or bottles that had to be opened with a bottle opener?

Have tried different caps. Will try another type today. Definitely NOT twist-off.

One option is that the bell is bad but on more than one capper?

Hopefully the new caps will solve the problem. I'll post results later today on that approach.

I doubt it's a bad capper. I'm baffled :confused:. With all due respect, are you sure the caps were centered on the bottles, and are you sure you pushed down all the way on the capper till the cap really sealed onto the bottle?

If the new caps don't fix it, post some pics or videos of the bottling/finished bottles; maybe someone will notice the problem from that :confused:

I have a red capper. I've boiled the caps for a few minutes and they work. I've capped a few twist offs and they worked.

I think it has to be that capper. The caps only need to be crimped tight to the bottles and some how they are not getting tight enough.

I am having a similar issue when bottling. Do people generally boil their caps these days? I did not think it was still necessary to do so. I was bottling a batch of CranApfelwine last night and I noticed that after capping I could twist the caps. I had to use a dish towel to do so but I could still twist them. After getting very frustrated I decided to cap some empty dry bottles and they worked fine. I am wondering if I have to let the caps dry before bottling? I used bot a wing capper and a bench capper.

Anyone have thoughts on this....Revvy perhaps??

Thanks,

Z

never ever boiled caps. it can damage the seal if it gets too hot and soft.

i just star san my caps.

Some bottles are just slightly out of spec.When I come across those that won't cap tight, I carefully pour the beer back in the bottling bucket and send the bottle to the trash bin.

Check your capper clamps...reverse them if you can...see pic...the arcs are two different sizes for neck thicknesses...give it a try...

If that doesn't work then the ring on the top of the neck it probably too thick. Compare several bottles and you'll see what I'm talking about...the top ring where the caps latch on to.

Capper-0.jpg

Check your capper clamps...reverse them if you can...see pic...the arcs are two different sizes for neck thicknesses...give it a try...

If that doesn't work then the ring on the top of the neck it probably too thick. Compare several bottles and you'll see what I'm talking about...the top ring where the caps latch on to.

Thanks for the info. It is just odd that when I capped two empty dry bottles with the bech capped it worked fine. I will check my wing capper just to be sure.

Star san is a bit slippery. If the bottle top and cap are both wet with sanitizer, I'm able to twist the cap just after capping. Yet those bottle still hold pressure. RDWAHAHB.

Back