Free Online Beer Chemistry Course

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those struggling with the chemistry, whether you're like me and your chem background is 20 years out of date, or you've never had any real chemistry...

Someone posted a link to the following series in the Janux boards, and I checked 'em out. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8dPuuaLjXtPHzzYuWy6fYEaX9mQQ8oGr

Turns out to be damned entertaining, in addition to being genuinely educational.

There's 40+ videos in the series, so I'll be watching for a while, but I really like what I've seen so far.

If anyone else stumbles across useful extracurricular material, I'd love to hear about it!

I've been prepared to take the quiz since it got released Wednesday but am holding off til it's confirmed the bugs are fixed. Waiting to hear word.

All indications is that the quiz is working correctly. There are a couple of disputed answers on the fill-in-the-blank questions. Most likely will scan quizzes for "near misses" on these questions. If you think there was an answer that should be correct, leave a comment at the end of the quiz.

Of course, it may take a couple of weeks to can all of the quizzes...

I have to say this class is absolutely awesome so far, I just wish I knew some simple chemistry! The only answers I'm getting wrong are chemistry questions.

I took "simple" chemistry 20 some odd years ago, but I find myself reading, re-reading ... holding off on the quiz out of basic nervousness to bomb it. I'm acting like my life depends on it when in reality, I probably just need to RDWHAHB...right? :)

I took "simple" chemistry 20 some odd years ago, but I find myself reading, re-reading ... holding off on the quiz out of basic nervousness to bomb it. I'm acting like my life depends on it when in reality, I probably just need to RDWHAHB...right? :)

It's probably really not that hard in the grand scheme of things, but I had 1 high school chemistry class in my life and I struggled at it. I'm sure the concepts aren't that bad but I have absolutely 0 retention of anything from my high school class.

Just go for it. I took AP Chem in high school, but haven't had a science course of any sort since then (about 18 years). And I don't remember anything about the specifics that have been covered so far in this Beer Chem course.

But I still passed.

And RDWHAHB this early in the morning? Sure, you can't drink all day unless you start in the morning.

Is the 12 question quiz the only part that needs to be done right now?
I got everything right except the "fill in" questions,( and I thought I had a couple of those right) so I ended up with a 13.3 score. Hope that's enough to be able to continue.

Did the real quiz feel like it was way harder than the self-assessment quiz? It certainly did to me. I got 11/12 right on the self-assessment, reviewed my notes again and thought I was good to go, then BAM! 7/12. I failed it! Lesson learned from here on out: get on the discussion boards, because they have a lot of information on there that will help on the quizzes.

Just go for it. I took AP Chem in high school, but haven't had a science course of any sort since then (about 18 years). And I don't remember anything about the specifics that have been covered so far in this Beer Chem course.

But I still passed.

And RDWHAHB this early in the morning? Sure, you can't drink all day unless you start in the morning.

Hey, this is a judge free zone, no?
:D

Did the real quiz feel like it was way harder than the self-assessment quiz? It certainly did to me. I got 11/12 right on the self-assessment, reviewed my notes again and thought I was good to go, then BAM! 7/12. I failed it! Lesson learned from here on out: get on the discussion boards, because they have a lot of information on there that will help on the quizzes.

Same here. Aced the assessment after watching the videos and figured the quiz would be about the same. Wrong.

Same here. Aced the assessment after watching the videos and figured the quiz would be about the same. Wrong.

This is what I learned from Unit #1.

The Learning Objectives that Dr. Morvant puts up for each unit should be looked at, and that is where I focused my energy and learning most.

The quiz pretty much addressed every single one of the objectives that were on that list.

Well, I got 4 wrong, gave me a grade of 11.7. I'm not certain that is passing (the 11.7) but I'll take it. And yes folks, I was/am completely sober. Unless someone dosed my water with something...then there's an issue and I need a nap.

So I aced the self-assesment quiz and had only watched the videos as well. I learned after the quiz that the structure of most of his questions actually came from the review materials at the bottom. Yeah thought it was gonna be a breeze, so while fighting the attention from my 1 and 3yo and a couple Dunkelweisens..yeah I know now to read the reference materials at the bottom below the quiz before taking the quiz...Def going back and writing down some notes from those reference materials.

Well, I got 4 wrong, gave me a grade of 11.7. I'm not certain that is passing (the 11.7) but I'll take it. And yes folks, I was/am completely sober. Unless someone dosed my water with something...then there's an issue and I need a nap.

not too bad! you'll get better at it. rember it's been a long time since taking these kind of tests.

not too bad! you'll get better at it. rember it's been a long time since taking these kind of tests.

Very true. Not as long as some, I was a late college bloomer and only finished grad school in 2007, but still.

This is what I learned from Unit #1.

The Learning Objectives that Dr. Morvant puts up for each unit should be looked at, and that is where I focused my energy and learning most.

The quiz pretty much addressed every single one of the objectives that were on that list.

^^^THIS^^^

Read and study the learning objectives! I didn't realize they were going to be that directly related to the actual test.

Just discovered and signed up for the course this evening. What happens if I don't take the first quiz by the deadline? Not an OU student so not concerned about the grade. Just want to learn about chemistry of beer. Thanks for the open course.

Just discovered and signed up for the course this evening. What happens if I don't take the first quiz by the deadline? Not an OU student so not concerned about the grade. Just want to learn about chemistry of beer. Thanks for the open course.

Slight reduction for a late quiz. You can submit the quiz late. Need a 70% for a complete.

Unit 2 is now available. Remember to start with the learning outcomes, wait to take the self-assessment until after you learn the material in the videos and text, and ask question early and often. Also, have fun.

This one is pretty heavy in the biochemical concepts related to health and ethanol metabolism. Unit 3 will swing back towards brewing and there will be a good mix of chemistry and brewing from then on to the end.

Hey same thing happened to me and same score think I failed to lol

I been working and missed the date for last quiz. Does that mean I'm out?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Home Brew mobile app

I kind of like this unit, as it will force me to revisit the materials over and over and not rest on my laurels.

I been working and missed the date for last quiz. Does that mean I'm out?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Home Brew mobile app

Someone else asked the question either here or on the Janux site to which Dr. Morvant replied you can take it late but you will be penalized with a reduced grade. He did not state how much of a reduction.

Someone else asked the question either here or on the Janux site to which Dr. Morvant replied you can take it late but you will be penalized with a reduced grade. He did not state how much of a reduction.

15 points for 100% instead of 20 for a 100%...

Pretty cool, I signed up and will go through it as time allows. I have an engineering background but am pretty poor on the chemistry side. As a beginning brewer, hopefully I can learn a thing or two as it is always nice to understand "Why".

Do students need to get a minimum score on a unit quiz in order to continue with the class?

For example, if by chance there is a Unit that only covers a topic I'm not interested in, can I skip it? I'm not taking the course for credit so the final grade does not matter.

Metabolism...

I've never enjoyed studying metabolism - the material this week has been so frustrating for me. I can actually enjoy the minutiae of incredibly boring topics but metabolism - ugh!

This lesson will certainly defeat me.

I just signed up for the course. I don't really have time to do more schoolwork... But I'm hoping this will be fun. I have a bachelors degree in biology, which required a decent amount of chemistry, so I'm hoping that will help me here.

My Unit 2 notes:

Kill me. Kill me now.

Hey, should you have used a smiley face so as I know NOT to react to your request. :)

I feel for you, as my brain is numb from watching the Unit 2 videos and I haven't touched a brew since Saturday . . . . .

I too am hanging in there as I want to see my success at the end.

'da Kid
(who's feeling like a 4th grader)

Hey, should you have used a smiley face so as I know NOT to react to your request. :)

I feel for you, as my brain is numb from watching the Unit 2 videos and I haven't touched a brew since Saturday . . . . .

I too am hanging in there as I want to see my success at the end.

'da Kid
(who's feeling like a 4th grader)

Thank you for not taking me literally.

Brain numbing is an excellent description but my activity has been the opposite of yours. I spent the weekend testing Unit 2 experimentally. Happy to report that my alcohol dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase preformed well under extreme conditions. Tonight I will be testing the standard drink theory with Tequila, Cigar City's Jai Alai and a bottle of 2000 Leoville Barton. Not looking forward to the start of binge drinking tomorrow but it is part of the unit... (smiley face here?)

Seriously though, I am impressed with the time and effort that has gone into the production of the class. Can't wait to get back to the chemistry of brewing.

I recently found out that I'm going to be moving out of town and am already falling behind/ being late on assignments. Looks like i have double studying to do

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

a couple questions about the quiz:
1) on one of the questions, it says "incorrect" at the top of the question box but then shows a green check mark next to my selection indicating i chose the correct answer. is it correct or incorrect?
2) one of the questions says i chose the wrong answer when i could have swore it was correct. I even looked up the answer after finishing the quiz and it says my choice was correct. i'm confused

a couple questions about the quiz:
1) on one of the questions, it says "incorrect" at the top of the question box but then shows a green check mark next to my selection indicating i chose the correct answer. is it correct or incorrect?
2) one of the questions says i chose the wrong answer when i could have swore it was correct. I even looked up the answer after finishing the quiz and it says my choice was correct. i'm confused

Is this the practice quiz or the Unit 1 assignment? For #1) I got a answer wrong in the actual quiz because I used a simile of the correct answer

Back