First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan4659

Reaction score
I'm just getting started and after picking up my equipment I'm debating what sort of recipe I should go with for my first time. I really like clean stouts, abbey beers and Hefeweizen and am looking for a relatively simple brew that would help me learn the process and is somewhat forgiving for a complete beginner.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

honestly, the heff would be the most forgiving because of temperature fluctuations and such if you're getting the process down... i'd go with that one.

well... american style heff? or actual clovey banana heff?

Of the beer styles you mentioned the Hefeweizen would be IMO the most easy to brew and quickest to turn around and drink. Also pretty forgiving with fermentation temperatures.

I would suggest using a liquid strain of yeast to get the true Hefe style and for this style it is not really necessary to make a starter if using Wyeast 3068 yeast.

I prefer the German Hefeweizens, particularly Konig Ludwig.

I think for my first time I will probably go extract just to cut down on the steps and show my wife It really isn't that messy or complicated.

My second beer was a Dry Irish Stout and it was a very good beer. I haven't made a hefeweizen yet because I think of those as late spring or summer beera.

""think for my first time I will probably go extract just to cut down on the steps and show my wife It really isn't that messy or complicated.""

Bwahahahaha! Wait till the first boil over:D

Back