milk stout stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lametrout

Reaction score
I brewed a milk stout from BREW mag , the December issue.
I did the extract recipe and even did the 2L starter like the mag said, and my of was 1.067 which was 7 points higher than target. It started bubbling within 4 hours. I checked it in a week and it was 1.030 but it didn't taste too sweet. Checked it again last night and it ha sent moved. Don't know what I should do repitch or just bottle it up?
Thank you brew gurus

Dont bottle it. At 1.030 it is NOT done and may result in bottle bombs.

What temperature is it at? You've done something that the yeast are not happy about, but a 2 liter starter seems like a good start towards a healthy fermentation.

I did the same recipe, only I did all-grain. That recipe had a pound of lactose I believe...which is unfermentable...so you will have a higher FG (even though 1.030 sounds a bit hi)

I think you are probably ok to bottle....here is why:

My OG was 1.063.
My FG after 3 weeks was 1.026

I bottled it (7) weeks ago and have had no bottle bombs.

If you extrapolate my results to yours.....where you started with 1.067...then you could expect the FG to be 1.030.

NOTE....this is by no means a guarantee since our recipes were not the same (i.e. extract versus all grain, different water, different fermentation conditions, etc......) ...but it is a bit of a sanity check.

How long has it been fermenting? How many days between your (2) gravity checks you already did?

I would give it 3 weeks total in primary before you bottle anyway....

It was 3 days between the readings....I did give a slow stir last night and will report on Sunday it there was any change

Lactose will artifically inflate both your OG and your FG....I do a Coffee Cream Stout regularly, that I use lactose for. Mine is lower OG than yours and finishes up at around 1.020. My guess is that yours is either done, or close to it.

1.030 seems high, and I probably would toss it if it were mine ...... I can't stand sweet beer, but .......

You added a pound of lactose. In 5 gallons that accounts for .007 on both the OG and FG. Adjusting your numbers, it comes to, OG=1.060, and FG=1.023. That's 71-72% attenuation. What yeast did you use?

It may very well be done. If you used a lower attenuating yeast and like it, then go ahead and bottle it.

Yeah...if you check it tomorrow (Sunday) and there is no change....go ahead and bottle it.....although....I would still wait a total of 3 weeks just for conditioning purposes....let the yeast clean up ......

Yeah...if you check it tomorrow (Sunday) and there is no change....go ahead and bottle it.....although....I would still wait a total of 3 weeks just for conditioning purposes....let the yeast clean up ......

Well spoken!

checked it today and it is the same. Tasted really good lots of coffee notes. imgonna wait a week and then bottle like you guys suggested.:D

Back