Plug and Play Rims Parts???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardyexfor

Reaction score
I know everyone will want to tell me how much cheaper it is to build my own and how it's really not that hard but... I don't have the time nor patience. I work alot and am lucky that I have the time to brew to begin with. In other words, I don't want to fool around with wiring schematics, parts hunting, trial and error or general headaches. I also don't want to spend a rediculous amount of money.

I have been trying to find a plug and play rims setup since I will soon be working with a stainless steal pot as a mash tun and I want to be able to control temps. I will already be set up with pumps

The only all in one solutions I have found were the tower of Power at ~$1600 complete and the comparably priced rimswizard.

These are the parts I have found:

Plug N Play PID $147
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?m..._id=44&zenid=1727ddb5e3cfe20efb7f1775a0fef12b

6" Electric Sparge/Mashing Heater $77.25
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2003

Rims Tube Kit $72
http://www.brewhardware.com/rimsherms-parts/122-rims

Total = $296.25
Not including shipping, hoses and disconnects

If I add a second setup for the HLT:
Grand Total = $592.50

It might not be as cheap as a full DIY setup, but it is around $1000 cheaper than the all in one options I have found. Other than price, does anyone see anything wrong with this setup? Anything I am overlooking? Alternatives or suggestions?

Thanks ahead! Cheers!:mug:

Check out the offerings from Brewer's Hardware. You can configure it right there. Think the only thing it doesn't include is the actual heating element.

BTW, I would shy away from chi for anything. Read the reviews on them BEFORE placing an order.

I have seen the rims tubes and BCS controllers on that site but its the wiring and setup of a control box that I don't want to do.

Also I have seen that heat element on other sites if that is the case with CHI, but it is a bit cheaper from them.

You didn't mention whether you thought this was a viable setup though...

I've not made one, or gone too deep into it due to not needing one. I direct fire my mash (propane burner, keg mash tun) so it's no issue at all. I just remembered seeing the offering from Brewer's Hardware and have had a bad experience with chi in the past (I'm not alone either). If it was me, I'd opt for the other supplier, even if it's a bit more. IMO, less stress is well worth a bit more money.

Yeah I just did a search for them which led me to your thread about them, not good.

Are you able to keep consistent temperatures on you MLT/HLT with direct fire by throttling the burner or do you manually turn it off and on as temperatures fluctuate.

With how I have my keggle insulated, during warmer months I have very little heat loss (maybe 1F over an hour). During the cold months, and brewing on a screened in porch (open on two sides) I could lose 2-4F over an hour. I simply monitor the temperatures (Fluke 52II with a probe in the mash) and fire it as needed. Typically, that's a few minutes (up to 5) to get it back to where I want it to be. I don't have the system automated.

With my planned move to brewing in the basement, I expect to have an easier time controlling temps. Especially since it will be above 50F year round. It's 56F in that section right now. It could be a little cooler when I have the vent running, but I don't expect it to drop too much (maybe another 5-10F).

I'm in the middle of a RIMS build with subsequent control panel and I wish I would have looked at that controller. If I were you, I would keep the controller and tube but ditch the premised heater for some simple DIY work to fit a standard 1500w element wired to a 14Ga spare cord from a hardware store. That should take you about 10 min and cost about $30. Post pics if you get it done and it works well, could be the simplest RIMS solution I've seen on this site.

I have the Brewer's Hardware Rims tube. It is really nice and easy to take apart and clean. If you want the best it is the way to go. As for the Chi company heat stick I think that a bucket heater will work better for you and it would be cheaper. Also I have some experience with ordering from Chi company and while a few things were not correct they did overnight the correct parts.

I assume you mean a bucket heater placed into the mashtun instead of the rims tube. I thought this caused inconsistency due to temperature pockets in the mash. Correct me if im wrong. I could see it as a good alternative for the hlt though.

Back