Stainless Tube bending not working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnatp2

Reaction score
I have been trying to bend my stainless tubing from mcmaster.

8989K98 Welded Type 304 Stainless Steel Tubing, 1/2" OD, .46" ID, .02" Wall, 50' Coil

I get small kinks even when making small bends. When I make larger bends, I get major kinks. See below video.

Last edited by a moderator:
SS is a pain in the a#% to bend. It is very brittle. Try taping off one side and pounding playsand in it then sealing other end off. Then tape electrical tape around outside. And bend super slow.

T-304 stainless is particularly hard. Aftermarket tuner mufflers are made out of that stuff. Lasts forever though.
I was thinking of using 50' or so of aluminum to make one. one side in the right sink bowl with ice water,the other on the left in the BK. I figured just boil it for the same reason as an aluminum BK...plus it'd cool down faster in theory.

Are you wrapping the tue around something or just bending it with your hands? I would try wrapping around something (I used a paint can, but that was for copper).

I'm guessing this is already coiled, just too large. Maybe try reducing the coil diameter in steps (wrap around a large circle, then a smaller one to final diameter). No guarantees, but that is what I would do.

Also, filling with sand is a great idea. I work for a company that bends pipe (2" up to 6") and we avoid kinks by filling with steel shot.

I'm sorry to say that you will not be able to bend that tubing without a three roller jig. The wall thickness will not allow it. If you went with 035 wall it could work.

I'm sorry to say that you will not be able to bend that tubing without a three roller jig. The wall thickness will not allow it. If you went with 035 wall it could work.

Is 316 Stainless better? And while I'm going with larger wall thickness, should I just go for .049" or .065" to be safer? Not wanting to drop another 75$ on a 3rd 50' coil....

Or anyone know a place in New Jersey that I could coil this thing to a 12" diameter? Looking to make a herms coil and integrated chiller coil.

I'd just buy this, but 220$ is a bit steep in my opinion. http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/custom-herms-coil

Nate

Is 316 Stainless better? And while I'm going with larger diameter, should I just go for .049" or .065" to be safer? Not wanting to drop another 75$ on a 3rd 50' coil....

Or anyone know a place in New Jersey that I could coil this thing to a 12" diameter? Looking to make a herms coil and integrated chiller coil.

I'd just buy this, but 220$ is a bit steep in my opinion. http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/custom-herms-coil

Nate

just get it from here http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Coiled-to-customers-request-035-304304L-Coiled-Tubing_p_30.html

Pretty cheap considering the range of sizes and stuff they offer

Back