You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You put a pot of old fashioned oatmeal on the stove and wonder how it would turn out if you cooked it at cooler temps then slowly stepped it up to a boil.

You put a pot of old fashioned oatmeal on the stove and wonder how it would turn out if you cooked it at cooler temps then slowly stepped it up to a boil.

Or use a bit less water in the oatmeal and add some of your oatmeal stout (or other dark brew) towards the end of the cook time... :rockin:

When you have to turn up the tv to drown out the airlock bubbler because it's in the living room...

When you spend your lunch breaks searching for the ten nearest breweries and formulate plans to visit each one for a tour by year's end.

Marko1983 said:
You fill the propane tank for beer more often than the grill.

When you run outta beer propane and push back the family cookout for an hour or two to borrow the grill tank to finish your boil.

when you say "hun I am going to the package store" and you just walk into the basement..

When your making noodle soup and the parsley floats to the top and you think its hops and grab the spoon waiting for the hot break

When your not sure if your brew will be any good if your not drinking a paulaner hw during the boil.

When you buy a 12 pack of a new craft beer to try, and discover it has twist off caps, and you just cry a little bit inside.

When your girlfreind suprises you by buying beer and you have to pretend to smile, and they have twist off caps.

When you are missing 1 bottle out of an empty 12 pack of summit and think about throwing the other 11 away.

When you have 10 gallons in primaries, and ten gallons in secondaries that are almost ready to bottle, but your roomate moved out and took all the bottling equipment.

When you know that a good chunk of your next paycheck is going to buy new bottling equipment, but its a nice day, and you have to force yourself not to stop at LHBS and buy another carboy and beer kit.

When you deliver dairy products, and one of your stores is replacing refrigeration equipment so you load the old stuff on to your semi with no idea how you will get it off the trailer, get it home, or get it in your basement, but you take it anyway.

When you drill the hole in your keggle a bit to high for the thermowell, and you just say oh well I will just have to only do ten gallon batches, oh well I have two other kegs anyway, or oh well guess this will just have to be the HLT.

When your farts smell like mine do.

When there's no room for food in your fridge

When your living room is set to fermentation temperature rather than room temperature

When you realize that Dogfish head isn't actually that good! Oh ZING

stillbrewin said:
When you buy a 12 pack of a new craft beer to try, and discover it has twist off caps, and you just cry a little bit inside.

When your girlfreind suprises you by buying beer and you have to pretend to smile, and they have twist off caps.

Geeze.. snobbish much? I guess canned beers below you as well?

When you have a burn scar on your foot from when your flask gave out on you during a starter (my brew partner, not me)

When your last thought before you shut your eyes at night are about your sweet sweet nectar fermenting away

When you realize you already have more than enough empty bottles cleaned & stored. And you then look at that stack of newly emptied ones that need de-labeling & wonder what in the world am I doing? Maybe just even out the number of bottles & give away the rest? You don't exactly need them,but hate to waste them...what is a brewer to do? :drunk:

When you drink the beer from the FG test of your latest brew & the yeast actually perks you up a little bit as you write down your latest notes.

When you stop at the Northern Brewer and can't imagine what else you could buy, but figure out $120 worth of critical items nonetheless.

Is it possible to have too much brewing hardware?

How may Corneys is enough? One more, I'm certain.

At what point should I declare my hop stash "sufficient"?

"No, Honey, seriously!!!!!! All grain is going to be a real cost savings, once I round out the brewery."

When you consider flipping many-many years worth of hard found wines in the cellar to develop a really excellent brew stand.

Seriously, this appears to be a sickness. A heartfelt thanks to my dear hop-head friend who thought I should "just try this, it's like a really good Burgundy, but with a huge hoppy finish." And, it's hard (yet proven not impossible) to spend moe than $15 for a bottle on beer.

If these first batches don't turn out, I've got a full brewery for sale.

when in one week you get eleven 12 packs from various people at work, spend all week scrubbing them out and it really didnt make your clean empty pile look any bigger. Apparently I need to brew more... dont tell the wife!

When you have 25 gallons of homebrew ready to drink and think you need to brew more.

when you start calculating the evaporation from the heating of the water in the coffee pot... which i did this morning.. haha

When you buy the wife's beer in returnables............because they come in a REALLY nice box.

when you find a bottle missing and you start digging in the trash to find it. Then you get excited to find it, but find out that someone stuffed a napkin in the bottle and that is when you get mad.

You set your alarm clock for 130am so you can get up and make a starter because waiting until morning wouldn't give it enough time on the stirplate...*yawn*

When you've saved up some more bottles to delabel,& go through them to add ones with the cap to your growing collection. Then weed out undesireable bottles to be replaced with good German ones.

When you finish building your new brew creation and cant sleep for 3 days in anticipation totry it out

When your at the local watering hole and everything tastes like cat piss but you stay anyways cuz you never know if a chick worth your while shows up because it's kareoke night and you can't wait to get home to drink real beer!!

Back