contactor recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcalisi

Reaction score
so i go to test my control panel for the first time plug it it turn the switch and nothing... better than smoke but as it turns out i mistakenly got the wrong contactor. i had them wired as being 24v coils instead they are 220v. 120v will move the coil but it bounces like crazy and makes an awful racket.

So what I have is a 50amp service coming to the box and each leg going through a contactor. What is a good single contactor that can handle 50 amps and is quiet that runs on 120v. One of the benefits of moving to electric was being quiet.

Would this be the way to go?
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Motor_Controls/Fuji_Contactors_-z-_Overloads/32_to_50_Amp/SC-E2S-110VAC

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

No idea, I just google product searched and found it :)

I have two 30A contactors sitting at home, but I wont be back until august, so I guess I could answer then...

ebay. $20:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AC-HEATING-CONTACTOR-CN-PBC402-120V-40-50a-2p-/390172629860?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad819db64

edit: regarding noise: you shouldn't really be getting any noise. When you turn them on they will make that one-time "CLACK", but they they just stay on. Maybe a very slight (meaning, you will have to TRY to hear it) "hum".

Thanks Walker. I just bought the 4 pole from the same guy. I hope this thing isn't too noisy... I wanted a i AB iec contactor but way more than I can spend right now.

I see a 4-pole with a 240V coil, but I don't even see a 4-pole that operates on 120V from that seller.

I have my power coming into a small distribution box and then it will feed the contactor. I will wire the contactor as if its two and load balance my components across it. Not to mention it was the same price as the 3p... I'll shoot some pictures once I have it installed. I'm so ready to have this thing running.

Wouldn't a Definite Purpose Contactor work for this application. I work in the electrical
industry and I know SQD has a good assortment of these.

bthorn9435 said:
Wouldn't a Definite Purpose Contactor work for this application. I work in the electrical
industry and I know SQD has a good assortment of these.

That's exactly what he was shopping for and what he bought. Check the links.

Back