Does this sound reasonable.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Found a guy locally selling a bunch of homebrewing equipment. Some of it I have, some I do not (especially the kegs and CO2 cylinders). The whole batch for $375, Here is a quick runddown

(1-CO2/Nitrous regulator
(2-20# CO2 Cylinders
(3- 5gallon pinlock kegs
(6- 1/2 Gallon Glass Jugs
(2- 5 gallon glass carboys with handles

Misc Items Including Bottling bucket, fermenting pail, airlocks, funnels, etc...

To me it seems like the big items (kegs/carboys) alone would be worth it. Let me know what you think please.

(1-CO2/Nitrous regulator
- about $80 (I think)

(2-20# CO2 Cylinders
- no idea on the prices of those, but they will be pricey

(3- 5gallon pinlock kegs
- about $25 each, so $75 worth of kegs

(6- 1/2 Gallon Glass Jugs
- no idea on those, but probably not worth figuring up - you can get them for 'free' if you drink certain brands of juice.

(2- 5 gallon glass carboys with handles
- about $20 per carboy, so $100 worth of carboys

Given the prices of things off the top of my head, you're looking at about $250 to $275 + CO2 tank value. The tanks are definately worth more than $50 each, plus you've got misc goodies includes.

Seems like a decent price to me.

I forgot to mention the immersion chiller. Looks homeade, but I'm sure it is still worth it with the price of copper.

McKBrew said:
I forgot to mention the immersion chiller. Looks homeade, but I'm sure it is still worth it with the price of copper.

Yeah, that's probably worth $30 to $50, depending on how much copper was used.

Do you already keg? You're probably going to want to pick either pin lock or ball lock; nothing wrong with pin lock, but they're a little less common. So, you're basically committing to using pin-lock fittings going forward, you don't want to mix and match. In any case, three pin lock kegs, if good to go and pretty clean, are prolly worth $60 or so, from what I've seen (been doing a decent amount of research lately :D).

Is it a dual or single reg? Duals, used, seem to be worth $30 - $50, singles, maye $15 - $30 used.

Carboys w/handles? $30 for pair I would think is fair.

Glass jugs - negligible. Those and the other gear, let's say $50 total.

So, excluding the monster CO2 tanks, I'd ballpark the value of the other stuff at $150 - $200, depending on how nice the reg is, how much other stuff there is, how nice it all is, etc. Might even be worth less to you, depending on how redundant some of that stuff is (the "extras" might be worth nothing to you, if it completely duplictates your existing gear).

So, would you then pay another $175 - $225 for two, 20-lb CO2 tanks? They're probably worth it, but are they worth it to you? Those are pretty big tanks - do you need two of them? Will you end up trading one of them for a couple of smaller tanks? Personally, two tanks that big would be redundant for me since I'm not going to have two kegerators, and they've got to weigh an arm and a leg.

I guess, if you really need those two big tanks, it's a fair price - but if those would just be "nice to have," you can probably find a better deal. For example, I got a 10-lb tank, three ball-lock kegs, a dual reg, and assorted fittings for $135+ shipping. Now, I'm pretty sure this was offered at a good price because this was from a fellow HBT'er, but I didn't think it was ridiculously cheap.

EDIT: Forgot that it was a nitro reg; that bumps the value, but to me, it still comes down to whether you really need two tanks that huge or not.

the_bird said:
Do you already keg? You're probably going to want to pick either pin lock or ball lock; nothing wrong with pin lock, but they're a little less common. So, you're basically committing to using pin-lock fittings going forward, you don't want to mix and match.
There's nothing wrong with mixing and matching. I have both pin-lock and ball-lock in my fridge.

-walker

Walker-san said:
There's nothing wrong with mixing and matching. I have both pin-lock and ball-lock in my fridge.

-walker

I'm JUST getting started, but doesn't that make it more of a PITA than otherwise?

I actually would have been tempted to go pin-lock, as I've seen those kegs for sale a good amount cheaper on eBay (even though there seem to be far fewer of them).

I don't know much about kegging so I didn't really realize that there were two types and the pin-lock were less common. The guy spent alot of time breaking everything down, new vs. used pricing and just from what you guys have said it seems like he might be on the high side (but, maybe he paid an a#s-ton for shipping to Hawaii). I really don't need alot of the things he has, (but the buy it all price was better).

All and all, it looks like I could probably get a better deal by waiting until I move, and buying what I need/want then. If I were staying here, I might consider the deal.

Thanks

Back