mini-mash vs. specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
Hey all what's up.. i'm a semi newb. so far i've only done extract w/ specialty grains, all from austin home brew.

I decided to try one of their recipes as a mini-mash. let me give you the specifics.
here's one i ordered:
American IPA:
Extract: 8 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 1 lb Specialty Grains.
Mini Mash: 6 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 2 lb Base Grains, 1 lb Specialty Grains.

So, i'm a bit confused.. with the mini mash kit, I figured there would be a bag of the base grains which i would mash, then a bag of the specialty grains i would steep, but all the grains are in one bag.

so do i just mash this whole bag?

So let me see if I have this straight. Correct me if I'm wrong:
You can't steep base grains, you must mash them..

However, specialty grains, you can steep or mash them.
If it is only spec. grains, you steep; if mixed with base, you must mash..

is this correct?

If you only had spec. grains, could you mash those as well, as opposed to steeping?

Also, related.. on brewwiki, it goes over the mini mash tun and such.. but the instructions from austin home brew just have me do it in a pot.. boil them, then pour the water over the grains..

I'm assuming these two methods are creating the same output right? is the mash tun easier or something?

Hey all what's up.. i'm a semi newb. so far i've only done extract w/ specialty grains, all from austin home brew.

I decided to try one of their recipes as a mini-mash. let me give you the specifics.
here's one i ordered:
American IPA:
Extract: 8 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 1 lb Specialty Grains.
Mini Mash: 6 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 2 lb Base Grains, 1 lb Specialty Grains.

So, i'm a bit confused.. with the mini mash kit, I figured there would be a bag of the base grains which i would mash, then a bag of the specialty grains i would steep, but all the grains are in one bag.

so do i just mash this whole bag?

Yep.

So let me see if I have this straight. Correct me if I'm wrong:
You can't steep base grains, you must mash them..

Correct.

However, specialty grains, you can steep or mash them.
If it is only spec. grains, you steep; if mixed with base, you must mash..

is this correct?

Yes.

If you only had spec. grains, could you mash those as well, as opposed to steeping?

No, most of the time you need the additional diastatic power of the base malt (think: more enzymes to convert starches to sugar) to convert the specialty grains.

Also, related.. on brewwiki, it goes over the mini mash tun and such.. but the instructions from austin home brew just have me do it in a pot.. boil them, then pour the water over the grains..

I'm assuming these two methods are creating the same output right? is the mash tun easier or something?

Mash tun is easier for lautering/sparging. You don't want to boil the grains.

Wow thanks.. i kinda was reading the brew wiki and figuring all that out as I was typing it..

so you say "You don't want to boil the grains."
do you mean don't do it in a pot.. or are you just referring to my mistake of saying 'boiling'.. of course i meant hot water..

is mash tun vs. doing it in a pot just personal preference?

Wow thanks.. i kinda was reading the brew wiki and figuring all that out as I was typing it..

so you say "You don't want to boil the grains."
do you mean don't do it in a pot.. or are you just referring to my mistake of saying 'boiling'.. of course i meant hot water..

is mash tun vs. doing it in a pot just personal preference?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you got it. Add hot water to the grains to get it to sit around 150-152 degrees for about 30-45 minutes. In a pot or mastun won't make a difference as long as you have a good way to separate the wort from the grains once the mash is complete.

How much extract can you add to a mini-mash, to increase its fermentability? At some point you must be decreasing the efficiency of the mash.

In a pot or mastun won't make a difference as long as you have a good way to separate the wort from the grains once the mash is complete.
Ahh, so that explains the muslin bag they suggested with purchase, which i bought..

so w/o a muslin bag (or similar), you need a mash tun..

starting to make sense:)

How much extract can you add to a mini-mash, to increase its fermentability? At some point you must be decreasing the efficiency of the mash.

Wow, serious threadjack. You might want to make a new thread, many people may not see your question in here.

The mash happens before the extract is added, so one has nothing to do with the other (in terms of the extract affecting the mash). You're using the extract to make up the difference in gravity from what your mash provided you.

The mash happens before the extract is added, so one has nothing to do with the other (in terms of the extract affecting the mash). You're using the extract to make up the difference in gravity from what your mash provided you.

His question is about adding extract to the mash so the enzymes can make the extract more fermentable. It's a valid question, just not one for this thread.

Ah yes, I re-read it and you're right. I took it to mean he wanted to increase the OG by adding extract to the mash. That's what I get for looking at spam all morning and trying to say something intelligent. :D

Back