Hops selection: What should I buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synovia

Reaction score
I am going to make an order from hops direct, and am looking for suggestions on what hops to buy. I am pretty new to this, so I'm pretty open. WHat are you guys favorite hops?

Here is what I have so far: I am willing to make changes.

Cascade Pellet Hops 16.50
a/a 5.0 - 8.2%

Willamette Pellet Hops 10.50
a/a 4.5 - 7.0%

Hallertau (GR) Pellet Hops 17.50
a/a 3.0-4.0%

Galena Pellet Hops
a/a 10- 13.0% 18.50

---------------------------------------------

If you plan on brewing American style, like American Pale ale or American IPAs, you should get the Amarillo, the Chinook and the Centennial as well, or instead of the Willamette/Galena. If you are wanting to brew stouts/porters, then the Willamette are a great choice.

It really all depends on the style you want. I brew American ales and have tried a ton of hops. Amarillo is my favorite followed by the big C hops: Columbus, Centennial, Chinook, Cascade.:mug:

Amarillo, Centennial, Cascade are my favorites, in that order. (Well, maybe Cascade and Centennial are a tie for second.)

I am going to make an order from hops direct, and am looking for suggestions on what hops to buy. I am pretty new to this, so I'm pretty open. WHat are you guys favorite hops?

Here is what I have so far: I am willing to make changes.

Cascade Pellet Hops 16.50
a/a 5.0 - 8.2%

Willamette Pellet Hops 10.50
a/a 4.5 - 7.0%

Hallertau (GR) Pellet Hops 17.50
a/a 3.0-4.0%

Galena Pellet Hops
a/a 10- 13.0% 18.50

---------------------------------------------

Saaz and East Kent Goldings are good, along with what you have.

Some clean bittering hop is a must (e.g. Galena or Magnum).

After that, it's sort of up to what styles you do. I'd go with a variety--e.g. Cascade, Saaz, EKG, and Hallertau. People who focus heavily on American styles would go with Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo, and Chinook or something like that. People who do a lot of British styles would need Fuggles and EKGs both, Belgian fans might need several noble and continental hops, etc.

I like your line up. You can brew a spectrum of beers with that selection. Since you say you are new to this it is a good decision to have a lot of options as far as style goes. Saaz are also a very nice choice, they go well in pilsner and belgian ales. EKG are also a great recommendation. I like a pale ale with Cascade and EKG. Just remember to try everything!

Back