What is Dubbel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEVENJAN

Reaction score
Is this a silly question? I can't quite get a handle on this.
I was trying to find out if you can make beer without a bittering agent like hops or spruce or bitter spice. Just because, ok.
Anyway, when I looked it up I came across "dubbel".
I also found Belgian dubbel w/hops.
Is there such a thing as making beer with malt only? Is it not beer at that point? Is it malt wine and not beer? Is it called something else? Got answers?

Not entirely true: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/medieval-ale-discussion-experiences-101776/

To the OP, it is indeed possible to brew beers without any bittering agent as the thread above shows; historically, fermented malt beverages could also be bittered with herbs other than hops and were known as 'gruit'.

Jason

Yes, but you have to concede that your recipe in that link isn't necessarily what most would call a typical beer recipe and that on the average, just brewing a standard beer recipe minus the hops would in many cases result in an out of balance beverage....which is likely the point that DB was making with a broad brushstroke.

OP: what links did you find that indicated that dubbles didn't use hops or alternative bitterings? There are several unbittered fermented beverages I've read about in the past but I don't recall anything on the basic dubbel style.

Yes, but you have to concede that your recipe in that link isn't necessarily what most would call a typical beer recipe and that on the average, just brewing a standard beer recipe minus the hops would in many cases result in an out of balance beverage....which is likely the point that DB was making with a broad brushstroke.

Absolutely! I just abhor generalizations. :) It, of course, depends entirely on the characteristics of the style as to the amount of bitterness necessary to balance.

Absolutely! I just abhor generalizations. :) It, of course, depends entirely on the characteristics of the style as to the amount of bitterness necessary to balance.

I've also heard of wheat wine being made without hops, which could be quite tasty. I too abhor generalizations, but as my friend always tells me when I try to give too many details at the LHBS, "Don't muddy the water for the beginners."

In general, ale made without hops would be extremely malty and/or sweet. I'd imagine the majority of "medieval" ales were terrible.

In general, ale made without hops would be extremely malty and/or sweet. I'd imagine the majority of "medieval" ales were terrible.

Give the one linked a shot; I found it neither extremely malty nor sweet. In fact, it's rather nutty. Very refreshing, as a matter of fact! :mug:

Hey, i'm sure you can...but i've brewed and not used enough hops before...cloying sweetness is entirely possible even when you make "beer."

I also said "in general", so you bafoons can stop telling me I'm "married to my preconceptions" and understand that I'm trying to give a new person good advice, not explore every single avenue and overwelm the poor guy.

Hey, i'm sure you can...but i've brewed and not used enough hops before...cloying sweetness is entirely possible even when you make "beer."

I also said "in general", so you bafoons can stop telling me I'm "married to my preconceptions" and understand that I'm trying to give a new person good advice, not explore every single avenue and overwelm the poor guy.

If I offended you by taking you at your word, I apologize.

You wrote:

You also wrote much the same thing in another thread. Both preconceptions - because you haven't actually experienced the stuff we're talking about, they pretty much define 'preconception' - are, in general or otherwise, in my experience false.

I was trying to give you the benefit my experience. :mug: It's all good.

It's a good idea to descend into minutiae in threads like this. There's Good Advice to Noobs - which is more often than not what I call Lies to Children - which is useful information, good enough to get a person started. But when you start digging in to the whys and wherefores, more information gets tossed about, which expands the horizons of everyone involved. I fail to see how that's a bad thing! Unless, of course, the ebb and flow of the information tide utterly confuses the n00b. ;) That is a danger. But we should let the n00b define that parameter when and if it's reached.

You dig?

Now, back to the minutiae. There's a difference between using too little hops in a fairly standard modern beer recipe and medieval ale. Medieval ale doesn't use specialty grains, for example - it's all base malt.* It's grains like crystal and caramel malts that make a beer cloyingly sweet if not balanced by hops or alcohol.

Whether or not it's 'terrible' is entirely due to the tastes of the drinker. I, for example, think bourbon and tequila are utterly revolting, not matter how high the shelf from which the bottle is pulled. But I'd not tell the world the stuff is 'terrible', full stop; I'll tell the world that it's not to my taste. And that presumes I've actually tasted it first. 'Terrible' does not = 'different than that to which I'm used'! :)

Respectfully,

Bob

* See? There's a generalization! Some consider wheat, rye and oat malts specialty grains. I don't. If you can brew a drinkable beverage from 100% proportions of the grain - and yes, it's possible - it's a base malt, not a specialty grain. My opinion; YMMV.

P.S. I like what you've done with your brewery! Great organization.

Are you saying I've never experienced a cloyingly sweet beer that didn't use specialty grains? And, again, I said "I'd imagine most of them were terrible"...and I'll stand by that.

Terrible = not having the knowledge and sanitary practices that we have in these days, batch to batch variation, not to mention a flat, warm beer...yes I think "different than I'm used to" would be a fair comparison to terrible in this regard.

Technically it isn't "beer" without hops, anyway.

I think you just wanted to promote your medieval ale and offer your advice in regards to a non-hopped ale, of which you have noteable experience. This is great, but we're all here to give advice, not "abhor generalizations".

Obviously, I should be entirely specific and give every little detail when discussing things in the beginners forum, or someone might actually take what I say as an absolute and turn a simple question into an argument. I guess my generalizations don't belong in the beginners forum.

I think we've muddied the water enough. The OP hasn't been back.

SO...malted wheat and rye often have more diastatic power than barley. I've never used malted oats before, have you made an oat beer? That could be interesting.

OP: what links did you find that indicated that dubbles didn't use hops or alternative bitterings? There are several unbittered fermented beverages I've read about in the past but I don't recall anything on the basic dubbel style.

I read this on Yahoo answers: "If you aren't too keen on the taste of hops try wheat beers or Belgium style beers. Heffeweisen, lambic, trippel or dubbel. These and others like them tend to be so lightly hopped that you won't notice. Stay away from anything made by Stone."

I guess I didn't read it close enough. I don't remember where I read about other Dubbel. It might have been a Dubbel like beer or something or other.

Not entirely true: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/medieval-ale-discussion-experiences-101776/

To the OP, it is indeed possible to brew beers without any bittering agent as the thread above shows; historically, fermented malt beverages could also be bittered with herbs other than hops and were known as 'gruit'.

Jason

This is just what I'm looking for. I know I am a newbie and worse yet I use a Mr. beer keg to ferment my beer/experiments. If you have read some of my other attempts you will think I am a nut....I am. So what? I finally like chemistry. It only took 40 years.
Beermaster, I am sorry if I caused others to go off topic by vilifying me and my ignorance....oh well.

Yep, if you look at the BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Index, you'll see that IBUs are much lower for belgian beers and wheat beers.

Wheat beers are generally hopped JUST for balance, with a simple 60 minute hop addition and a very simple grain bill. One of my favorite beers, and very cheap because it uses little hops and is a light recipe in general. I love malt-based beers. I'm far from a hop head and german wheat beers are a regular for me.

For instance, my hefeweizen recipe goes like this:

60% Wheat Malt
40% Barley Malt
~8-10 IBUs of bittering hops (about 0.75 ounces of a mild-alpha hop for 60 minutes in a 5 gallon batch)
WLP300 - 1 vial for 5 gallons

For extract, you can just use 6 lbs of Wheat Dry Malt Extract instead of the malt.

Still one of the best beers I brew.
:mug:

I didn't mean to open a sore wound but, it's too late for that.
I don't mind too much information. I hope I can glean what is useful to me.
I am indeed a noob or maybe even a boob. I am not offended by either characterization. As they say "I've been kicked out of better places than this". I have been to lectures where the speaker is talking way over my head but there is always something useful I can take away from it. Perhaps I won't get everything you guys know in one sitting, perhaps, never. But what you have written so far, speaks volumes. Good stuff. Thanks, Steve

When you say cloying could it be any worse then my drinking Boones Farm Apple in my youth? Or Muscatel. Wow. How about Mogan David wine? Those are all examples of misspent youth.

The worst I've ever had was like "soda beer." Overly sweet because of underattenuation and low hopping, with a carbonic fiz...it was really, really bad.

I'd give some generalized examples of what could cause a cloyingly sweet beer, but I wouldn't want them to be taken out of context :p

It's been so long since I've had boones, I don't remember what it tastes liek.

I've got a Dubbel in secondary that I'm going to keg and let condition for a couple of months. It is a dark brown color, very lightly hopped, with a forward malt flavor. Slight chocolate/nut flavor, with spice flavor typical of many belgians. I think Chimay Red is a widely available commercial version of a Dubbel if you want to try some.

I've also heard of wheat wine being made without hops, which could be quite tasty. I too abhor generalizations, but as my friend always tells me when I try to give too many details at the LHBS, "Don't muddy the water for the beginners."

Still reading through this thread but thought I'd comment on this point...

Years ago "Ale" was beer without hops. In fact hops didn't hit till a few hundred years ago. - I have a book on this packed away somewhere. In fact one king of Britain banned hops when they first hit the scene.

One of the reasons roasted grains came on the scene was as a bittering agent. Roasted barely was used to balance out the sweetness. Quite often other herbs etc., were used as well for either bittering or flavoring.

OK, back to reading rest of thread....

I agree, don't confuse the newbs too much. Most are trying to make beer. When they get that figured out they can try to make ol' school from the hood yo, 1420's Ale. ;)

Are you saying I've never experienced a cloyingly sweet beer that didn't use specialty grains? And, again, I said "I'd imagine most of them were terrible"...and I'll stand by that.

To the best of my knowledge, you've never intentionally brewed medieval ale using an authentic set of recipes and techniques. This makes an different product than forgetting to put hops in.

Dismissing the entire genre because of what you imagine to be the case is akin to dismissing, say, IPA because you once had a bad bottle of Hop Devil.

Terrible = not having the knowledge and sanitary practices that we have in these days, batch to batch variation, not to mention a flat, warm beer...yes I think "different than I'm used to" would be a fair comparison to terrible in this regard.
I regret to inform you these assumptions are in large part erroneous. Please permit me to clarify.

First, 'warm'. Cellar temperature is cool, not warm.

Second, 'flat'. There is no evidence ale was flat. Perhaps not carbonated to the 2-4 volumes to which we're used, perhaps even slightly less than the 1.8 or so volumes found in traditional British Real Ale, but hardly flat. Pressure-capable vessels existed from Roman times.

Third, 'batch to batch variation'. If that's a criteria of 'terrible', virtually every damn homebrewer I know thus brews terrible beer, because they seldom brew the same thing twice - and when they do, it tastes different than the previous batch! :D Modernly, even successful professional brewers experience batch-to-batch variation and blend. In the medieval period, it's likely that consistency wasn't even important; it's a historiographical mistake to apply our modern mores to historical people.

Fourth, 'knowledge and practice'. I infer from the way you worded that statement that you consider historical brewers to have had little knowledge and less skill. Nothing could be further from the truth. Brewing was a protected skill set, by guild in the secular world and by seclusion in the cloistered, carefully passed down from master to student. Skill was not the issue - let me give you an example.

Have you ever tried to brew without instruments? Do you know what mash liquor looks like when it's just hot enough to mash with? Do you know how to get a good crush out of something not a modern roller mill? Do you know how to gauge conversion and/or wort density without instruments?

These people didn't have instruments. They had their senses. They had to train their senses in order to make these judgements. And it's pretty damned difficult, I assure you - because I've done it. It's hard, really hard, to get any kind of consistency. (That's why instruments like the thermometer and sacchyrometer, when they came available in the late 18th century, became so widely popular: they enhanced consistency. It's important to note the instruments didn't suddenly enforce consistency where none existed! They simply made the brewer's job easier.) I had the fortunate circumstance of being able to confirm information with an instrument and cross-reference sensory notes; they had a seven-year apprenticeship where they learned by watching.

To dismiss their work as substandard is hubris, sir. Hubris borne of lack of understanding, certainly, but hubris nonetheless.

Technically it isn't "beer" without hops, anyway.
Lord knows that's true! :mug:

I think you just wanted to promote your medieval ale and offer your advice in regards to a non-hopped ale, of which you have noteable experience. This is great, but we're all here to give advice, not "abhor generalizations".
Really, it's not any of those things. I want information and advice given to be correct. There are areas in which 'correct' is a matter of opinion, and there I will gladly give way and simply keep my yap closed. This is not one of those areas.

Obviously, I should be entirely specific and give every little detail when discussing things in the beginners forum, or someone might actually take what I say as an absolute and turn a simple question into an argument. I guess my generalizations don't belong in the beginners forum.

I'm sorry if I came across like that. I didn't intend it. I'm not trying to make anyone devolve into absolutes when a generalization is perfectly useful. I am trying to prevent you from passing on a generalization that is simply untrue. I'm trying to educate.

SO...malted wheat and rye often have more diastatic power than barley. I've never used malted oats before, have you made an oat beer? That could be interesting.
I have. In fact, oat-malt beers - like 100% oat malt - were being sold commercially in UK until the mid-20th century. Next up in my historical experiments is a recipe from the late 13th century where fully 80% of the grist is oat malt. This will be the third time I've brewed this. The other iterations were parti-gyle with the gyles kept separate (each was pretty tasty); this time I'm combining the gyles into one (what we modern brewers call "batch sparging" :D ).

Oat Malt is really quite simple to use. It's a smaller-diameter malt than barley/wheat, so it takes mill adjustment to get a good crush. It also has a higher percentage of husk matter. Usually the diastatic power is equal to or slightly less than 2-row barley malt. I prefer it to flaked oats and usually sub it 1:1. Not only do I get many of the same benefits - lots of proteins! - I also get husk matter for lautering and conversion power for high-adjunct beers like Wit.

Respectfully,

Bob

lol, I didn't "dismiss" anything. Once again, you're reading far too much into it, buddy.

Look, I'm a regular at a LHBS and I often taste other peoples beers. People brew TERRIBLE beer and think that it is absolutely wonderful. Things haven't changed much over the last thousand years, except that if you want, you have the tools and knowledge available to make great beer (even great ales!)

And I do partial mash batches without any tools at all, continuously...I have my standard recipes that always taste great and I couldn't care less about the specific gravity or temperature or consistency.

All this started because I didn't want someone to throw a bunch of extract into a pot and boil up a malt bomb. It's that simple. Perhaps I was wrong to assume that that would happen, and I am CERTAIN it won't happen now that he has the information available to him, but jesus, man...give it a rest.

On another note, I'm gonna have to try that oat malt. I think I saw some at northern brewer.

I love it when there is a passionate exchange of ideas.
Thanks guys, I am actually learning alot by your passion. Almost religious.
From my point of view this is a disagreement of two very accomplished brewers that take pride in their skill and therefore the information that they disseminate to others. Wow Great discourse.

I am not kidding, the online conversation was rather stimulating.
So, really I didn't think you were hi-jacking. Just a lively discussion.
By the way your pictures are terrific.

Fuuny, I did a search for a discussion for low hopped beers and this came up. I thought I had more hops but only had 2oz for a 5 gal batch but decided to brew it anyway. It was an all grain and although I don't have the recipe with me (made up anyway) it was like 7lb barley, 2lb wheat (SW Cereal)and 2lb oats and I had no rice huls. Stuck like a MF but I got out 5+ gal. I added 1/2 of the hops halfway in the boil and the rest at the last 5 minutes. Anyway I was concerned about the lack of hops but perhaps this one won't come out all that bad. Bottled last night and smelled and tasted good, can't wait to find out. SG=060 FG=015. I added some OJ and orange peels and some coriander too. Again, just made up as I like to experiment.

I suggest picking up a few dubbels and a few non-hopped ales to get a better idea of what you're looking for. You'd be surprised that there are hops out there that aren't so hoppy (if it's the bitterness you're trying to avoid). If you have a BevMo! or similar store nearby, you shouldn't have trouble finding something.

For dubbels, I'd suggest starting with Grimbergen Double Abbey Ale. It's the one that opened me up to a whole new way of thinking about beer, and yet this one is nothing compared to others out there.

For non-hopped ales, you can try Fraoch Heather Ale. Others are harder to come by, like the Grut Bier I have waiting for me in the fridge.
13th Century Grut Bier - Brauerei Weihenstephan - BeerAdvocate

If you are dead set on not using hops, just do your homework first so you don't end up with something that makes you want to hurl. Best of luck to you!

Aside from legal definitions (there is a minimum hop level required in the US to call it "beer") that go way back to the introduction of hops, a survey of surviving recipes finds that something is always added as a counterpoint to grain flavor alone.

Most often, the counterpoint flavor has some level of bitterness. When not bitter, the additions tend to add alcohol and with presumably mixed yeasts, would also likely add yeast character. While the boilogy of yeast was not understood, its importance to a good fermentation was, and reusing it from a good batch was common.

Until the industrial revolution, beer was a highly local and home made product. Until the early 20th century, beer was viewed as a food staple. So, like cooking, it is pretty reasonable to think that all manner of additives were used.

Not much is really written about what things tasted like, but I believe, it clearly had to be tasty in order to be consumed as food more often than medicine.

Kev.

Back