bottling from the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
Sorry... Another total newb question...

Can one bottle from the secondary? It seems like a good idea because you wouldn't aerate the beer transferring it into a bottling bucket, and you already know it's sanitized.

If I were to do it this way, what's the best way of stirring in the priming sugar? Or is this why it's a bad idea of bottling directly from the secondary?

I've read a lot of bottle-bomb threads because of poorly mixed sugar.

When you rack to a bottling bucket your disturbing thebeer somewhat and throwing carbon dioxide out of suspension...creating a bit of a blanket of CO2 on top your beer. Just use a bottling bucket and put the sugar solution in before racking your beer into it. Will work just great!

The bottling buckets work well. Just use enough tubing so that it lays on the bottom of the bucket and it will mix in nicely with the priming sugar.

umm I think your question was "can i bottle from the secondary" And yes you can. Just be sure there is enough room to put the priming sugar solution in the carboy and just SLOWLY stir with a racking cane for a few minutes and bottle. Ive done this several times and it works. But i would suggest you eventually get a bottling bucket it does make it easier.

If you bottle straight from the secondary you will be picking up yeast etc from the bottom when you mix in the sugar. Just rack to a sanitized bucket or empty carboy (with boiled sugar) and the bottle from that.

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
If you bottle straight from the secondary you will be picking up yeast etc from the bottom when you mix in the sugar. Just rack to a sanitized bucket or empty carboy (with boiled sugar) and the bottle from that.

Not neccessarily...As long as you stir slowly you wont pick up any more than you would by simply racking to another vessel.

And there's nothing wrong with picking up the yeast from the bottom, really. There's yeasties throughout the beer by the time you get to the bottling stage anyway.

Back