Please say this is " safe/healthy"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwillz

Reaction score
So this is my second brew and when my new scoby formed on top it was thin, then it started bubbling up because if the air bubbles and then it was lifted slightly because of my floating scoby underneath. Well when I wanted to taste test this morning the scoby didn't look like its "mother". I just want to know what you guys think of this scoby on top, is it contaminated, is it somewhat normal?

The brown coloring is not fuzzy like mold and I'm thinking the white stuff is some forming scoby that got pushed up when I was moving it around. I basically wanna know that I won't die if i taste test it. Lol. I'm really nervous now

Thanks

Edit: it didn't look like my photos uploaded...so here they are. I've been told "bubbly pizza like crust" is ok...and that's what I have for the most part

image-74671447.jpg

image-1194668216.jpg

image-834343727.jpg

It sounds like perfectly normal, healthy krausen from yeast!

Remember, no organisms that can make you sick can live in fermented beer.

RDWHAHB!!!

Looks fine. The white blobs are new growth. It looks like the surface might have just dried out.

kyt said:
Looks fine. The white blobs are new growth. It looks like the surface might have just dried out.

That's what I suspected as well, it's good to hear it from someone else

That's wild! I had to search the internet for what a scoby is, and then for what Kombucha is. Very cool stuff, I had never heard of it before.

That's wild! I had to search the internet for what a scoby is, and then for what Kombucha is. Very cool stuff, I had never heard of it before.

I'm just getting into it myself. I'm pretty excited, as TNGabe can probably attest to.

and I'm really digging these threads. a lot of info and things to not worry about! thanks, OP!

Setesh said:

I highly advise you to check out the organic section of your local grocery store or go to the most organic food market you have around you and try a bottle for yourself. After my first bottle I was hooked, everything about the drink makes you feel great!

I highly advise you to check out the organic section of your local grocery store or go to the most organic food market you have around you and try a bottle for yourself. After my first bottle I was hooked, everything about the drink makes you feel great!

I definitely will. I have to drive by one today on the way to the key copy place so I'll check it out!

Back