PM IPA Recipe Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrookedTail

Reaction score
Suggestions, critiques, etc, are much appreciated!

CTB IPA

5 Gallons
Boil Time: 60 minutes
OG: 1.066
IBU: 76
Color: 6.4 SRM

Fermentables
4lbs Two Row
2lbs Munich Malt
3.15lbs Light LME
2lbs Light DME

Hops
1oz Summit (17AAU) FWH
.5oz Centennial (9AAU) @ 20 min
.25oz Citra (12 AAU) @ 20 Min
.5oz Centennial (9AAU) @ 10 min
.25oz Citra (12 AAU) @ 10 Min
.5oz Centennial (9AAU) @ 5 min
.25oz Citra (12 AAU) @ 5 Min
.5oz Centennial (9AAU) @ 1 min
.25oz Citra (12 AAU) @ 1 Min

1oz Centennial (9AAU) Dry Hop
1oz Citra (12 AAU) Dry Hop

Yeast
US-05

That's about 20% Munich. Things may get too malty so you might want to reduce it to 4-8% for an American IPA. Mash the grain around 147-148 F; the extract will equalize your mash temp around 151-ish. I would add the LME as a late addition and go with a simple 60/15/0/DH schedule. Maybe use some sugar for dryness or add character malt in there if you want, but this isn't necessary.

That's about 20% Munich. Things may get too malty so you might want to reduce it to 4-8% for an American IPA. Mash the grain around 147-148 F; the extract will equalize your mash temp around 151-ish. I would add the LME as a late addition and go with a simple 60/15/0/DH schedule. Maybe use some sugar for dryness or add character malt in there if you want, but this isn't necessary.

Thanks for the response. I purposely left out crystal malt because I want it to be a bit on the dry side. I like your recommendations.

What do you think of this:

5lbs Two Row
1lb Munich
3.15lbs Light LME
1lb Light DME
1lb Corn Sugar

1oz Summit @ FWH
1oz Centennial @ 15 min
1oz Citra @ 15 min
1oz Centennial @ 1 min
1oz Citra @ 1 min

1oz Centennial Dry Hop
1oz Citra @ Dry Hop

By the way I do full boils.

Looks good if the IBUs are at where you want them. You could even go with less early and more late hop additions. Can you fit that much grain via PM with your system? Usually, the indoor homebrewers I know who brew via PM top off at 4-5 lbs. grain and use anywhere from 30-60% extract.

+1 on the full boil!!

Looks good if the IBUs are at where you want them. You could even go with less early and more late hop additions. Can you fit that much grain via PM with your system? Usually, the indoor homebrewers I know who brew via PM top off at 4-5 lbs. grain and use anywhere from 30-60% extract.

+1 on the full boil!!

I mash in a 3 gallon cooler. I can probably go a little higher than 6lbs, but that's what I usually aim for in my recipes.

IBUs in the adjusted recipe are 82. Just a little higher.

I mash in a 3 gallon cooler. I can probably go a little higher than 6lbs, but that's what I usually aim for in my recipes.

IBUs in the adjusted recipe are 82. Just a little higher.

I like the recipe! I'd probably go more like 70 IBUs (reducing the bittering hops a tad) but otherwise I"d use it as is in the second version.

I like the recipe! I'd probably go more like 70 IBUs (reducing the bittering hops a tad) but otherwise I"d use it as is in the second version.

Yeah I'll probably go with .75oz Summit as a first wort hop. That brings it almost exactly at 70 IBUs.

Thanks to both of you for your help!

Back