BIAB Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
I am looking to do a BIAB batch next weekend but have a question.

Here is my recipe:

6 lb Pale Malt
1 lb Biscuit Malt
8 oz Special B Malt
8 oz Chocolate Malt
1 lb Light DME - boil for 15 minutes
1.5 oz Fuggles - boil for 60 minutes
British Ale Yeast

I assume it's alright to MASH (I said boil the first time) the specialty grains along with the base grains? Is that what everyone does in BIAB or all grain?

Thanks!

I assume it's alright to boil the specialty grains along with the base grains? Is that what everyone does in BIAB or all grain?

I assume you mean "mash" instead of boil and yes, I throw them all in together in the mash for all grain brewing.

Yea I hope you meant "mash the grains".

Generally with BIAB you mash the grains all together in a grain bag at about 153 degrees F for 45-70 minutes and then mash out at slightly higher temp (165-168F) to extract more sugars and then you can let the grain bag drain into a bowl or squeeze it to pull out even more sugars. I hope you have at least a 5 gallon pot or bucket to mash 7.5 lbs of grain because once that much grain gets wet it will be a huge ball of grain!

I like to hang my bag above the kettle after mash out and let it drip while I beginning heating the wort for boil; Garage of course works great for this w/hook above the kettle

Holy biscuit malt! What are you mashing in? If its a 5 gallon + cooler you could easily add more base grain and drop the DME and save a little $$. Looks good though!

Holy biscuit malt! What are you mashing in? If its a 5 gallon + cooler you could easily add more base grain and drop the DME and save a little $$. Looks good though!

+1 drop DME;

Add more grain and save the DME in case your effeciency is off and you need it later to crank up your OG. a 6 gallon post boil batch for me at 1.050 OG requires about 11 lbs of Grain at a finer grind then the Homebrew shop. Mine is set at 0.028" gap

-Old thread revival-

Too much biscuit? Well, not if you like it! For me, burnt, er, very dark malt tastes, well, burnt. Having said that, lots of peeps like that. So if you do, go for it. ...Then again, given the age of that last post, you likely went for it. So, how'd it turn out?

I altered the recipe slightly and I won first place in the Brown Ale category and Brewer's Choice in the competition I entered that year. Had my recipe brewed in a local brewpub due to the Brewer's Choice win.

7 lb - Pale 2-Row (77.8%)
1 lb - Biscuit (11.1%)
8 oz - Chocolate (5.6%)
8 oz - Special B (5.6%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 18.04
0.5 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 4.48

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04

Back