First GF recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukesbb37

Reaction score
Ok so the girlfriend isn't really allergic to gluten, but shes slightly intolerant to it, so consuming more than a few beers makes her feel bloated and sometimes sickly. I just say this because if theres something I should add but its not 100% gluten free she'll still be fine.

That said, a local brewery has a blueberry beer thats her favorite, and ive been trying hopelessly to clone it. I gave up, but I think it would be really cool to try and make a blueberry GF beer. Plus, she wants "serious blueberry" flavor so I might be able to overwhelm the twang i keep hearing about with sorghum. She also likes the orange-y taste of bluemoon, so I figured I'd throw that in too.

Looking for a light, easy to drink beer, with lots of blueberry flavor and maybe a hint of orange.

Recipe (3 GALLON!)
3lbs sorghum (time suggestion?)
1lb light candi syrup (D-45) (time suggestion?)
1lb Rice Syrup Solids (time suggestion?)
.5oz sweet orange peel (15min)
.5oz bitter orange peel (15min)
1 Whirlfloc tablet (15min)
3lbs blueberry puree (secondary)
2oz blueberry extract (bottling)

Yeast suggestion?

So i think I'm going to go with US-05 (safale) yeast... and I should prolly add some hops but neither of us is a fan of really hoppy beers. Maybe .5oz of something at the end?

So i think I'm going to go with US-05 (safale) yeast... and I should prolly add some hops but neither of us is a fan of really hoppy beers. Maybe .5oz of something at the end?

If you don't want much hoppy flavor, you'll probably want to add the hops at the beginning of the boil, so that you get the balancing effect from the bitterness but not the flavor.

Wheat and Belgian Wit styles are commonly used as a base for fruit beers, so something like Tettnang or Strisselspalt hops at the beginning of the boil would be a fine idea (2 oz is normal for a 5 gallon batch with a partial boil, you might be fine with 1 if you are doing a full boil?)

If you don't want much hoppy flavor, you'll probably want to add the hops at the beginning of the boil, so that you get the balancing effect from the bitterness but not the flavor.

Wheat and Belgian Wit styles are commonly used as a base for fruit beers, so something like Tettnang or Strisselspalt hops at the beginning of the boil would be a fine idea (2 oz is normal for a 5 gallon batch with a partial boil, you might be fine with 1 if you are doing a full boil?)

Thanks for correcting me on that one. Ive used tattnang in beers that i really liked before so i will go that route.

I usually add about 1/3 of my DME at the beginning of my boils and 2/3 with about 10min left, and I liked the results I have gotten. Does anyone know what the effects are of adding Sorghum early or late causes?

Also when would you reccomend adding the candi syrup and rice solid.

id scrub the sorghum for tapioca and steep roasted quinoa. i prefer to use whole berries, but thats just me.

Back