A "real" cranberry lambic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinderbike

Reaction score
I was considering brewing a real cranberry lambic (and not the swill Boston Beer Co. sells), but I'm a bit concerned that cranberries are too tart and astringent to work in an already sour base-style from using wild yeasts and bacteria.

Anyone here ever tried brewing one, and most importantly, was it drinkable?

Cantillon used to brew a "real" cranberry Lambic for a bar in New York: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/388/24218 I'd think you could adjust the base beer to make it less sour before the berries go in. Wait to pitch the bugs, mash cooler etc… Good luck.

I was thinking something similar....

The OP might even think about making a brett only or a brett/lacto beer and adding the cranberries to provide the remaining acidity

I've never tasted an actual currant, but aren't they supposed to be similar to cranberries? Consecration uses currants, so maybe that is a direction to think about, cranberries are similar enough.

Currents are wonderful. They such an underused fruit in the states. They're fairly tart and astringent such that most people don't like them out of hand( I do). I would think they would go well in a less sour than lambic wild beer. I'm thinking Jolly Pumpkin Bam beir like mildly funky and tart pale beer with red currents. MMMmmmmmm

These guys brewed a "Cranberry Lambicy" that I sampled and really enjoyed at the Belgian Beer Fest in Boston this year. Maybe you could email them and ask for some advice? In my opinion, it was in the same class as a Cantillon Kriek, very sour and complex.

http://www.justbeer.us/

New glarus brewing company made a cranberry lambic and it was one of the best beers I ever tasted...yes I said best beers not just lambics but best beers I ever tasted. I tried to go to the new glarus website but it is having issues right now but you could find it at
www.newglarusbrewing.com
I think they give insight on how they developed the recipe

Back