DIY Plastic (Norwesco) Conical Folks... couple o' questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 40839

Reaction score
Well, despite SWMBO going above and beyond and scoring me a Morebeer conical for Christmas, I want to have a second fermenting option to finally replace my need for the original "Ail Pails" I started with. Not wanting to screw the pooch on another blingy stainless beastie, I'm going plastic induction tank with some fittings. Couple of questions, tho...

I see a lot of folks have recommended the Norwesco tanks, so I went that route, ordering two (fellow HBTer Ricand is building one too) from a local place, watertanks.com. That said, I'm concerned about them being "full drain" - seems pointless having a conical if you can't get all that trub out during the first dump, or all that yeast in the second. From seeing the diagrams of each tank online, it seems that the Ace tanks bottom looks like:

\ ........ /
\ ..... /
\ ... /
| . |​
Whereas the Norwesco ones seem to be:

\ ............... /
\ ............ /
\__ ... __/
| . |​

(I knew my mad ASCII art skills from the 80s would come in handy!). Does that lip around the drain port cause problems?

Second... this one should be easy, but just wanted to verify - PVC bulkheads, or polypropylene? (I would assume polypropylene?)

I'm looking at the same thing on the drawings and considering the Ace version. I've seen some pics on this and other boards showing what I beleive to be Ace tanks, and they do indeed appear to be "fully draining".

One other question...anyone know if you can pressurize one of the other for transfering beer? I'd like to do a double tier stand and may want to use CO2 to do the deed, but may just use my brewpump instead. I'd think 3-5 psi max would do it.

Pulled the trigger on the 15 gal Ace Roto Mold Fully Draining version yesterday:rockin:. Purchased it from from Spraysmarter.com based on the feedback from another thread. $63 delivered to ATL, supposed to be here UPS by the end of the week. Good communication from Landry Bates.

So far so good. Next I'll need to start working on the rotating racking arm and dump valve/assembly.

Think i may go SS dump valve, with a catch basin attachment to catch a limited volume. Still looking for ideas on the rotating racking arm. Haven't found the prebuilt version from the usual suppliers.

Back