good brewing iPhone app?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kent Place Software makes BeerAlchemy for the mac, i'm pretty sure they have an iPhone app.

I use Brewzor Pro BETA and HomeBrew Calculator (ghost chili) and they are pretty good. Basic calculators, no recipe formulation or anything, but these are just the free ones. I used Homebrew Calc today for the boil timer. It has the ability to enter in your hop additions and will alarm when it's time to add. Nice feature. Brewzor does have some recipe formulation, but I haven't used it; i stick with Beersmith on the desktop.

:mug:

+1 for BrewPal - hasn't failed me yet. It's great for those of use who just want to brew and not worry too much about al the nooks and crannies yet. Well worth the $0.99. I realy like the ability to export the brew sheet to my e-mail and print it

if you have a mac BeerAlchemy is really good to integrate with the iphone/touch. I do the recipe on the mac, sync to my touch, use the touch while brewing, and resync to the mac when done. Does all the calc's I need during the brew day.

Brew Pal is awesome if you are just using your iPhone. For .99, I don't think you can beat it. You can juggle a bunch of recipes at once- it's just solid.

Also a fan of Brew Pal

Although if I had a mac I would probably use Beer Alchemy just for the integration/syncing aspect, as I tend to develop recipes on my PC using BeerSmith, and would LOVE to be able to just sync them to my phone.

+1 / -1 to BrewPal. I have this app, and there are a few issues. If you do a double sparge it will split your sparge water in half despite if the first half at boilnig will get you up to 170. My brew last night was done to the app's numbers and I ended up at 160 rather than 170. I had to add the rest of the sparge water to get it where I needed it.

Also, additives such as Belgian candi syrup and the like during the boil are calculated into the preboil OG. I figured this out last night when I was trying to determine how the hell I got a 60% efficiency on my Belgian brew. Once I deleted the added sugars from the recipe I was sitting at my 75%. So, things to be aware of.

I like the app as a guide, but I double check now before hand, and will be getting BrewSmith in the near future as a main computer reference.

+1 / -1 to BrewPal. I have this app, and there are a few issues. If you do a double sparge it will split your sparge water in half despite if the first half at boilnig will get you up to 170. My brew last night was done to the app's numbers and I ended up at 160 rather than 170. I had to add the rest of the sparge water to get it where I needed it.

The Sparge water temp is set at a defualt at 170, but you can change in in the mash tab. Trying adjust the grain bed temp instead of the sprage water temp. It should reflect the first sparge as a higher temp.

I like brewmath. It is more of a reference than a recipe app, but I do recipes in beersmith and print them out for brewday. Brewmath has everything right up front, so no searching. SG correction, refractometer math, nutrition/ABV, evaporation/dilution.

I find brewpal to basically be a mini (and easier to use) version of beersmith. Great stuff.

I was on ibrewmaster before...didn't like it. Brewmath is good for quick calculations.

I use both beer alchemy and brew pal on the iPhone of doom.
I really like beer alchemy.
something about the interface that makes me happy.

I haven't seen spargepal posted on here 'ITS FREE' but BrewPal is worth the extra 1$.

I love brewpal. Wish I could get it for my laptop. It has a nice function, where once you dial in a recipe, it will tell you what BJCP style is matches. You can also use this function in reverse to dial in a specific BJCP style. Best $1.99 you'll spend, IMO.

I use and love iBrewMaster... the newer version has a lot of good feature, like comparing your recipe to BJCP guidelines.

I bought brewpal, and it seems really nice. It can do a lot.

However, I could not find anyplace in brewpal to indicate I do a partial volume boil and then add top-off water in the fermenter. I've read that partial boil effects certain things such as IBU calculations, so I assume the brewpal IBU calculations are going to be wrong for me. I'm not sure what else might be off.

Have I just missed where this is set in brewpal, or is the feature really missing?

Also, the boil timer doesn't seem to work unless you keep your phone awake during the boil. Most iPhones go to sleep after 1-4 minutes, so this is kind of a pain. Anyone else find a way around this?

Back