First brew experience...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orchidbeer

Reaction score
This is my first time brewing. I have been reading about and watching videos on home brewing for the past few weeks. On Saturday I attended an intro to brewing class at the Northern Brewer (lucky to have one in the neighborhood). I picked up the essential brewing starter kit with the Caribou Slobber ale.
Wednesday night I activated the WYEAST 1332 and Thursday morning the pack looked like a small football. Followed the recipe, very easy, no problems. OG 1.052-1.053 @ 64ºF. Pitched the yeast @66ºF around noon. Checked the air lock 7pm no activity. Checked at 7:30am this morning and bubbling vigorously. I am fermenting in the basement with the temp in the mid 60's.
Now comes the hard part, WAITING.

Thanks for reading, Joe

Congrats and welcome to your newest addiction. The best thing you can do now while you're waiting is go get another beer fermenting so you establish a bit of a pipeline...it makes the wait for each batch a little less painful!

Cheers!

Congratulations! It sounds like you are off to a very good start and have the brew at the temperature that will give you good beer. I know that the waiting is tough but you know that the wait is essential and you have this forum to read while you wait.

Speaking of waiting, you can go back to Northern Brewer and they will sell you another fermenter and a recipe kit so you have something else to do while you wait on your first brew. You might even get a couple of each and you can then brew each weekend for 3 weeks, bottle the next 3 weekends and be ready to brew again. Since you would have more beer fermenting you could even let one or 2 of them have longer in the fermenter.:ban:

Welcome to your "other family". I have two fermenters myself,so at least that many staggered by,say,a week would give a little breathing room beer'wise. I'm heating up the water for some priming solution now. Gotta make a beer run before I settle into bottling this one & yaking with y'all.:mug:

wow...

welcome to the obsession.

nice to hear about a cherry-poppin' first brew day where it went well and the posting is not "OMG, I mixed 47 lbs of pure cane sugar in 1 gallon water with 47 lbs of hops and I pitched about 12 minutes ago and the airlock is just SITTING THERE! should I repitch or is it ready to bottle? oh I also added coconut"

Back