Weihenstephaner Korbinian recipe anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgruis

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've done some searching and can't seem to find an existing recipe for this beer.

Needless to say I like the beer...(or why would I want to clone it right?)

So if no known recipe exists I would like to start an converstaion on what it would be like.

My first thought would be...we know it's a dopplebock, yeast wise it's probably using the Weihenstepaner lager strain..Saflager W34/70. A Dopplebock I believe it would include a mix of Munich or Vienna Malt as well as Pilsner Malt. I believe a docoction mash would be included.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hello all,

I've done some searching and can't seem to find an existing recipe for this beer.

Needless to say I like the beer...(or why would I want to clone it right?)

So if no known recipe exists I would like to start an converstaion on what it would be like.

My first thought would be...we know it's a dopplebock, yeast wise it's probably using the Weihenstepaner lager strain..Saflager W34/70. A Dopplebock I believe it would include a mix of Munich or Vienna Malt as well as Pilsner Malt. I believe a docoction mash would be included.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Korbinian is a delightful brew to be sure. Most of big commercial brewers are pretty tight with information as to what goes into their beers and Weihenstephaner seems to be no exception other that the website says it's 18.3 Plato and 32 IBU. I've drank my share of Korbinian so based on my memory and those numbers here is a starting point. This recipe has a dark Munich base for color and richness, some pilsner to help with the attenuation and finish, dark caramel malt for the bit of burnt toffee flavor I detect, and Carafa II for deepening the color. I would suggest a liquid yeast as I have heard mixed reviews from dry lager yeasts and have always had good luck with the liquids. Decoction mashing would be my choice. :mug:

5 Gallons

10.5 lbs Munich II
3 lbs pilsner
.25 lb CaraAroma
.375 lb Carafa II

2 oz Hallertau ~4%AA for 60 min (75-90 wort boil)

White Labs WLP-820 or Wyeast 2206 yeast

I havent done it yet...although I hope too soon. My summer got away from me so I havent been able to brew in quite awhile.

I'll keep you posted.

A shame there's no follow-up on the experience since this is by far my favorite dopplebock . . . . Simply sublime and for 3 bucks to boot!

No but I'm going too in a week. This or celebrator. I will actually buy both and compare side by side to see if I can tweak the recipie. I have recipie for celebrator.

Okay so I readjusted from 3 to 1 lb of the cararoma. Is it too much caramel and maltiness? Have you done a clone yet of this? It seems bitter value = ebu's = ibu's so 2 oz. of hallertau won't cut the bitterness, right? Shouldn't it equal 32 ibu's although I've read that most German dopplebocks have usually very low ibu's like 7-15.

Okay so I readjusted from 3 to 1 lb of the cararoma. Is it too much caramel and maltiness? Have you done a clone yet of this? It seems bitter value = ebu's = ibu's so 2 oz. of hallertau won't cut the bitterness, right? Shouldn't it equal 32 ibu's although I've read that most German dopplebocks have usually very low ibu's like 7-15.

A quarter pound is plenty, IMO. The "maltiness" is from the base malt not the specialty malt. Cararoma is more burnt toffee and dark, dried fruit than caramel. I would say that 32 IBU is a bit much here as are your late hop additions. One bittering addition is fine. The beer needs enough hops to counterbalance the big malt but still let it be the star. For IBU 25-28 seems about right here. If you want a little hop flavor put in a half ounce @ 20/30 minutes but I do not suggest using a 5 minute addition but it's your beer.

As soon as i get my fridge i will brew both celebrator and korbinian. What about that bready taste korb has? Don't u think there is some belgian special b ?

I agree with BigEd. German beers tend to have really simple malt bills. What it really comes down to is a decoction mash and kettle caramelization to get the flavor and color correct.

Yeah try
DeePee

Recipe specifics:

Style: Doppelbock
Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 6.0 gal
OG: 1.082
FG: 1.021
Bitterness (IBU): 24.2
Color (SRM): 21.6
ABV: 8.1%

Grain/Sugars:

10.00 lb Pilsener (German), 63.5%
5.00 lb Munich (German), 31.7%
0.50 lb Special "B" (Belgian), 3.2%
0.25 lb Carafa I malt, 1.6%

Hops:

1.00 oz German Select (AA 5.0%, Pellet) 60 min, 14.6 IBU
1.00 oz Hersbrucker (AA 2.9%, Pellet) 30 min, 6.5 IBU
1.00 oz Hersbrucker (AA 2.9%, Pellet) 10 min, 3.1 IBU

Wyeast 2206

DeePee

Recipe specifics:

Style: Doppelbock
Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 6.0 gal
OG: 1.082
FG: 1.021
Bitterness (IBU): 24.2
Color (SRM): 21.6
ABV: 8.1%

Grain/Sugars:

10.00 lb Pilsener (German), 63.5%
5.00 lb Munich (German), 31.7%
0.50 lb Special "B" (Belgian), 3.2%
0.25 lb Carafa I malt, 1.6%

Hops:

1.00 oz German Select (AA 5.0%, Pellet) 60 min, 14.6 IBU
1.00 oz Hersbrucker (AA 2.9%, Pellet) 30 min, 6.5 IBU
1.00 oz Hersbrucker (AA 2.9%, Pellet) 10 min, 3.1 IBU

Sorry for bumping this old post but...

Anyone tried brewing this ? Really like this beer, haven't been able to find a recipe for this... :(

I hear you, I'm looking for a recipe for this beer myself. I haven't brewed these recipes yet, but will try this spring. I'll post back once I've brewed it.

I will make my finest attempt to brew this in the next 2 weeks. And I will be happy to share my results, probably 2-3 months from now. Just in time for spring time brewdays!

Me too. What recipe/conditions you going with? Maybe we could collaborate and do a couple variations and see what we get...?

Me too. What recipe/conditions you going with? Maybe we could collaborate and do a couple variations and see what we get...?

I'm going with the first recipe, looks pretty sound to me. I think its the second post. I'll probably do a double decoction, boil for 2hrs to get a bit of caramelization and ferment at 48 deg. D-rest, lager for about 6 weeks if I can wait that long.

Oh, and I'll be using w34/70. Huge starter. I dig that yeast, its my go to lager strain. Plus I have it in my arsenal at all times, so easy choice. I've always gotten great remarks from competitions when using this strain as well.

That IS the strain that is used in the real deal of this beer.

I remember reading somewhere that they actually use an ale yeast in that beer. Are you assuming that they use W34/70 because its the "Wiehenstephan" lager strain? I think that refers to the Wiehenstephan institute and I don't know if/how its related to the brewery. Maybe they do use 34/70, but it seems like it might be a challenge to get the residual sweetness that I taste in Korbinian from that yeast. Is agree that it's a great yeast, but maybe more appropriate for a pils or something drier tasting.

I remember reading somewhere that they actually use an ale yeast in that beer. Are you assuming that they use W34/70 because its the "Wiehenstephan" lager strain? I think that refers to the Wiehenstephan institute and I don't know if/how its related to the brewery. Maybe they do use 34/70, but it seems like it might be a challenge to get the residual sweetness that I taste in Korbinian from that yeast. Is agree that it's a great yeast, but maybe more appropriate for a pils or something drier tasting.

Edited that post, possible you are right. You got me thinking though, I can't seem to find much info on what yeast they use.

I'm not worried about w34/70 leaving a malty beer, my Vienna lager is very malty. I know you referenced sweetness, I'll have to pick one up and give it another try and see if I catch what you describe. I think if I control my mash well enough, and boil long enough I can achieve what I'm after. Time will tell!

Melanoiden malt was designed to take the place of decoction. I would use it as 2% of the total malt bill. I also think a long boil will give you the sweetness

OK this is what I think I will go with....any thoughts/advice.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.13 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.076 SG
Estimated Color: 30.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 7.5 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 1 74.0 %
3 lbs 1.6 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 20.0 %
5.0 oz Caraaroma (130.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.0 %
5.0 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.0 %
5.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.0 %
1.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - First Hop 6 25.9 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.0 pkg Saflager Lager (DCL/Fermentis #W-34/70) Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperatur Step Time
Mash In Add 19.96 qt of water at 166.7 F 155.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 8.40 qt of water at 203.3 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 1.89 gal water at 168.0 F

I would do Dark Munich malt instead of the pilsner. Also would loose the cara malts and go for a 2.5 hour boil. The boil is key to getting the flavors right.

Looked into doing a decoction, seems straight forward so think I'll do that in the end and omit the melanoidin. Think I'll skip ale yeast in lieu of further info and split batch and try couple different lager yeasts.

Back