Yeast in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
I'm new to this and my first beer used dry yeast but this time I bought a vial of liquid yeast that the guy was keeping in a fridge. Should I also keep it in my fridge? I don't know how cold it gets in there. Just want to make sure I don't mess it up.

yes, keep it in the fridge. Is it a Wyeast slap pack or is it a white labs vial? Either way keep it in the fridge until your brew day.on your brew day set it it out so it warms up to room temp and smack it if tis a slap pack. If its a vial then just pitch it once its good and warm. I would recommend making a starter if you can.

Keep it.in the fridge. A few days (usually 1-4 days) before brew day get it out and leave it to come up to room/pitching temp slowly then smack the pack and leave to expand (if wyeast) before pitching it into a starter culture. Depending on what you're making and age of the yeast you may need to make a starter - a low gravity ale should be fine pitched direct but anything much over 1040, or a cool fermentation like a lager, will need more yeast. A starter will take a day or two to build up before pitching - lots of info on making these up with a little DME and a good habit, you can also split the starter and save some split sections for future brews to culture up into starters which then makes liquid yeast cheaper than dried as well as better.

And none of this is a complicated, nor essential, as it may sound - but all good stuff to try out and learn.

What's the yeast, when was it made what are your plans for it?

Cold temperatures keep yeast dormant - which is what you want when the yeast isn't fermenting - so the fridge is good.

FREEZING temperatures cause water to crystalize into ice, and will rupture the yeasts' cell-walls. (Killing them). So yes to fridge above freezing, no to the freezer.

Thanks for the knowledge guys. Its liquid yeast in a vial and I plan to use it for a pale ale sometime within the next two weeks

Back