new belgium : blue paddle - ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
So here is a recipe i found while paroozing the internet. it calls for lagering yeast, but i do not have an area for lagering (unfortunately :( ).

i'm trying to find a simple recipe, and while drinking this beer tonight, it is somewhat simple, has some mellow flavors and is fairly easy to drink...

Basically (and i know this is frowned upon :) ) but! i'm trying to find a recipe that i can make "green" for st pattys day (SWMBO and myself are very into our irish heritage and would be rather fun to show her how to brew beer for her first time while celebrating our heritage in a fun way)

however, here is the recipe. What is your vote for this with something like nottingham? (or any dry ale yeast?)

Est OG: 1.052
Est FG: 1.015
Est IBU: 44

5 lb pale LME (If you find a Pilsner LME, primo)
2 lb CaraMunich LME (80% 2-row, 20% CaraMunich, available at AHS and ? This will give a nice malty flavor.)

1 oz Perle at 60 min
1 oz Saaz at 30 min
1 oz Hallertau at 5 min
* Note the Saaz and Hallertau additions can be switched or split 50/50 between 30 and 5 min.

Wyeast 2124, White Labs WLP 820, or SafLager 34/70 (All same strain. Dry SafLager available at MoreBeer and ?)

If using liquid yeast make a starter 2 days prior to brewing. Heat 6 gallons water to near boiling. Stir in half LME. Bring water to boil. Add 60 min. hops and start timer. Add additional hops at times indicated. Stir in remaining LME at 20 min (turning off burner to do so). Add Whirfloc or Irish Moss at 15 min.

Ferment at 50 F for 2 weeks (primary). Remove from lagering fridge, check gravity (should be close to FG), rack to 2ndary fermenter, and allow to reach and sit at temp over 60 F for a day or 2 (diacetyl rest). Put back in Lagering fridge and drop temp to between 40 F and 32 F over a period of several days. Let sit for a month or more. Remove from fridge and rack into bottling bucket prime with 4.5 oz dry corn sugar priming solution. Bottle. Return bottles to 50 F fridge for 2-3 weeks to carbonate.

*** note, i also want to dry hop this a bit and add some apricot or peach for experimental purposes. would cascade work for this? i'd like some grapefruit background and touch to it.

blue-paddle-1.jpg

Back